Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion server as master directory server; public IP, or behind a router?

My Mac Pro server running Lion server won't upgrade to Mountian Lion. On top of this, Open Directory doesn't seem to be stable any longer. I want to configure another Mac as a Mountian Lion server running as a directory master, iCal and Address Book server. I want to leave my Mac Pro on a private network as a data and backup server.

Question is, should I put the Mountian Lion server as a public server with a public IP and no router, or should I have it behind my router? I plan on having a few geographical locations soon and want to have my directory server available to each location.

I have reverse DNS configured for one my static IPs, Lion server alyaws seemed to want to revert the host name to the ISPs when it was behind a router.

Thanks.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 4:54 PM

7 replies

Sep 1, 2012 11:20 PM in response to Ryan Burkholder

Question is, should I put the Mountian Lion server as a public server with a public IP and no router, or should I have it behind my router?

If you have a network router that shares its Internet connection with computers on your intranet, such as an AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n) or a Time Capsule, the router isolates your intranet from the Internet. These Internet-sharing routers protect your intranet against malicious attacks from the Internet by blocking communications that originate outside the intranet.

Look here:

Port mapping for network and server protection

Sep 2, 2012 10:01 AM in response to Mark23

It's the primary server for my company. But for directory, VPN, iCal and Address Book only. The others are private servers on the LAN.

I have several clients that I'll be outfitting with networks to provide my remote presence and services. I desired to bind them all to a single directory server running on my static business connection for now, and then in a data center as the growing continues.

Sep 2, 2012 10:32 AM in response to Ryan Burkholder

I'm running 4 Mac Mini servers in a data center without a problem.

The quad core mac mini's (server variant) is a real powerhouse! 🙂

Do make sure you have a (smallest size) private rack space when moving to a data center, because a lot of people can't stand you running a beautiful open source platform while they're still on an ugly proprietary Windows machine...

Sep 2, 2012 11:12 AM in response to Mark23

I've done that before, good call.

I went ahead and set up the 10.8 server behind my router on the same LAN as the old server. Figured most of my clients are set up this way so I should be well versed. Perhaps the 10.8 server will resolve the OD and Kerberos issues I was having with 10.7.

I'll set up a test server soon with a routable public IP and see how it withstands the whirling derbish of the internet.

Mountain Lion server as master directory server; public IP, or behind a router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.