Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is itunes match providing protected aac's upon download?

I've been deleting my library and redownloading from itunes match, but the files are coming in as protected aac?

This is not good.

Anyone can explain this behavior?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 9:36 PM

8 replies

Sep 1, 2012 10:51 PM in response to kiyyto

Hi,

On one occasional few days ago, I had two tracks downloaded as 256kbs protected AAC files. Get info showed them as protected AAC showed a purchase date as the date of download. This is odd as protected files have always been 128kbs.

As I did not want to have protected files, I deleted them from my library and redownloaded the two tracks (from different albums). Correct matched files downloaded.

Remains a mystery!

Sep 2, 2012 3:25 AM in response to kiyyto

kiyyto wrote:

I've been deleting my library and redownloading from itunes match, but the files are coming in as protected aac?

This is not good.

Anyone can explain this behavior?

The files you've downloaded were probably uploaded from your iTunes library. So you are simply downloading the same files that were already in your library.

You need to turn on the iCloud Status column in the iTunes browser. Pull down View > View Options, select "iCloud Status" and click OK. you will now be able to see what the status is for all the tracks in your library. If it is "uploaded" then there is no reason to download them again from the cloud.

Sep 2, 2012 7:11 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

No,

These were 320kbps Mp3 ripped from a few CD's.

I just added them to the library a few days ago, decided to delete them and redownload them as AAC and they came in as protected aac.

I tried what Jim said and deleted them again and redownloaded and now they've come in as matched AAC.

Strange is right. I don't exactly trust this iTunes match yet.

Mar 11, 2013 12:14 AM in response to Miles123456

Hi,

I think your problem is a different one.

I regularly have download problems. When I am downloading tracks, I often get a momentary break in connection and the cloud symbol shows a lightning bolt - connection is quickly restored. Download of all tracks continues but those that complete download during this break show as Protected AAC files. The only way to solve is delete and redownload.

Jim

why is itunes match providing protected aac's upon download?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.