Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID with different countries

I have an Apple ID from a long time ago linked to the UK and a new one linked to Indonesia - how do i get my purchases to all show on my new IPad? I would like to keep both as many items not available in Indonesia so still use the UK one to purchase things from time to time!

Any suggestions?

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 11:08 PM

18 replies

Sep 1, 2012 11:51 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Really, is this a new thing? When I purchased my iPad, I asked the apple employee that I would be needing to use multiple accounts (associated with multiple countries) to manage my apps and whether this would create a problem or not. The employee told me that it was completely okay and done with by other people, too.

It would be great if you could point me the related article.

Sep 2, 2012 12:00 AM in response to Kivanc Muslu

It's called the iTunes terms and conditions.

You agreed to them when you created an iTunes account.

http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/uk/terms.html

"The Service is available to you only in the United Kingdom. You agree not to use or attempt to use the Service from outside this location. iTunes may use technologies to verify your compliance."

Feign ignorance all you want, you agreed to the terms and are bound by them.

Attempting to circumvent them can get your account suspended or cancelled.

Sep 2, 2012 12:05 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

Thanks for pointing this out; I really did not know that, I will be more careful from now on.

That being said, it still does not make sense. This suggests that if I move between two countries (even for a vacation, etc.), I should completely ignore my all purchases from my US account and create a new account in the new country and re-buy everything.

(I am aware that nobody here can do anything about it, just wanted to point out my opinion)

Sep 2, 2012 12:32 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

But i am in between the 2 countries so when I buy and pay for something it is in the country i am in _ i just find it annoying to have to keep switching ID's surely we all move around alot so can we not make this easier? I am doing nothing illegal just want an easy way to show my purchases in on spot so easier for me to use.

Do you mean if I am in the UK and buy something then 2 months later when i am in Indonesia I can not use the thing i purchased in the UK???

Sorry but this is really odd that i can use something i legally purchased.

Sep 2, 2012 1:14 AM in response to TAC1006

TAC1006 wrote:

But i am in between the 2 countries so when I buy and pay for something it is in the country i am in _ i just find it annoying to have to keep switching ID's surely we all move around alot so can we not make this easier? I am doing nothing illegal just want an easy way to show my purchases in on spot so easier for me to use.

Do you mean if I am in the UK and buy something then 2 months later when i am in Indonesia I can not use the thing i purchased in the UK???

Sorry but this is really odd that i can use something i legally purchased.

Preceisely for the reason Johnathan pointed out, I really doubt that apple can make this easier than currently it is (i.e., switching accounts when you change location). For your other question, if you try to interpret the sentence in the Terms of Agreement, what I understand is the following:

When you are in Indonesia you cannot use your UK account and vice versa. You asked a good question: what happens if you buy something from your UK account and then move to Indonesia? Will you be able to use/watch/read that? To be honest, I don't know and I cannot understand that from the sentence in the terms of agreement.

If you really want to be sure, I would suggest you to visit an Apple Store and/or call them and ask. However, be careful about what you hear from them. As I said, when I bought my first iPad (the first time iPad was out), I asked an apple employee about multiple accounts and he said it was totally normal and okay. Maybe the ToA changed in the meanwhile, or maybe he just did not know the full ToA. So, even the information you get from them might not be fully correct.

Short answer: what you are looking for seems possible at this moment, however as Johnathan pointed out it seems to also violate (or in the grey area of) ToA. So, be careful while doing that if you decide to and be aware that your account(s) might be invalidated if you choose to do that.

Jan 20, 2013 7:28 PM in response to TAC1006

So...

If i buy things on on itunes (music, app, movies), I cannot use it when i move it to another country?

But if I bought the same things on CD or DVD (except for app maybe), then I could do that...

so...what's apple advantage over just buying a CD or DVD?

And since I paid money to Apple for a product, and then Apple void the benefit of the product I bought, would this be a potential lawsuit for Apple?

Does stating "your purchase is only valid on this country" in terms and condition would mean that Apple have sufficient right to rob customer of the things they have paid for? Or will Apple claim that the money paid is paid for use of content in that particular country, and not payment for that content itself.

This could be a good tagline for commercial actually, a modified version of the Patek Phillipe watch's commercial that would sound like: "You Never Actually Own Your I-Tunes Content, You Just Don't"

Interesting that nobody in litigation happy USA have not looked into this matter, or maybe somebody had and I just don't know.

Oct 23, 2013 7:53 PM in response to sendy82

Jonathan was on the right lines. Media licensing is a minefield, especially internationally. This is not a new phenomenon; games and DVD's are also sold by region (hence region locks on your DVD player).

I believe that this is a clause that is there to protect apple from litigation from the media companies. There are so many customers that travel with their apple devices (international students etc.) so in practice this would be very difficult to enforce but having that statement there protects apple. Despite the grey area (or breaking the terms of agreement) I would expect the reality of switching apple id's would be very unlikely to cause a problem.

Dec 16, 2013 12:56 AM in response to RossWS

I can tell you that someone with a US account created in the US can travel and live abroad and still continue using that account for 5+ years without any problem. Apple doesn't give a **** if you continue using an account from another country and will happily let you purchase any kind of content and download and/or stream it to wherever you are. I've done this while living and traveling all around Europe without any difficulty.
My brother-in-law also told me he has multiple appleids from multiple countries as they live spend part of the year in one country and part in another and has no problem keeping content from both on his devices. I don't know how he does this exactly as I haven't tried it.

Sep 1, 2014 3:13 AM in response to TAC1006

Here is why I have 4 country IDs and why I'm struggling to "use" them.

I lived in Germany for 5 years and worked in Switzerland at the time. My commuite crossed the Swiss/German border 8 times every day.

Afterwards I lived in France (same region) and crossed the border 4 times but this time (by train) France, Germany, Switzerland).

Every day!

On my commute I want to use my content that I acquired over many years (1200 shows and movies, 20000 songs, 120 books).

While working for the same Swiss based company (it's in Basel, pretty much everybody in that region has the same issue plus other dense European regions) I was transferred to the US for five years and traveled in NAFTA and Central America all the time plus back home frequently, visiting the above mentioned countries in fast intervalls.

After returning I had my constellation 1 back, for the last years I moved to Switzerland and visit my family in Germany every week plus travel to Italy almost every weekend.

"Tough live" one might say - I know how blessed I am.

But what Apple doesn't seem to understand is that increasingly more people will live and move like that or even more complex.

Based on the ToS Apple asks me to own 10+ country IDs but switch them 4-10 times every day - worse even: oly use the content that was purchased in a particular country while crossing the border 4 times within 50 minutes morning commute and only use my US bought content when back on business trips there??!??

Give me a BIG ... break!

Apple ID with different countries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.