Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is it safe to download google chrome onto my imac?

Isz it safe for me to download google chrome onto my imac. And can someone help me with Adobe flash and Abode reader, which one should I download and way.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 7:35 AM

Yes, it's definitely safe to download Google Chrome onto your iMac. I have it on my MacBook and it's a very good browser. Also about Adobe flash, there is already a version of Adobe flash that comes preinstalled on all Macs.

- Daniel 

4 replies

Sep 2, 2012 7:42 AM in response to mudbath

You may not need to download Adobe Reader as Apple's pre-installed app Preview copes with a variety of file formats, PDF included.

If you do download Flash it is best to only ever get it direct from the Adobe site: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

As DanielPro has mentioned, if Chrome was to become your default browser you would not need the separate install of Flash because it is integrated into Chrome.

Sep 2, 2012 9:47 AM in response to DanielLPro

Thank you for your replies.

Can I have safari and Chrome on my computer at the same time? I like having my favourite most visited sites all on show

Recently a message popped up stating I needed to update Adobe, and the website looked exactly like the one you have giveen me, the website address that is. Can I stop the Adobe flash being downloaded or should I just delete/trash it when it downloads

Sep 2, 2012 9:58 AM in response to mudbath

You can install as many web browsers as you like, but you probably don't want them all running at the same time so they don't hog your RAM.

The link I gave you is to the Adobe site, the only safe place to download Flash.

To summarise - if you only used Chrome you wouldn't need a separate installation of Flash and could uninstall it using Adobe Flash Player Install Manager which is located in your Utilities folder.

Of course, if you do uninstall it you wouldn't be able to view Flash content if you decided to use Safari or any other browser that doesn't have Flash built-in.

To stop Flash downloading automatically go to System Preferences>Flash Player and reeview your settings under the Advanced tab. I have mine set to 'Notify me to install updates' - this ensures that you keep up-to-date with Flash, but you should always be wary of what you're installing - don't just update without verifying what you're about to do.

is it safe to download google chrome onto my imac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.