Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are all my files showing as a document type?

User uploaded file

I had an issue where my macbook would not start a couple days back, SO i reinstalled the OS. I have a Macbook Air, and it was reinstalled from the recovery partition. Ever since then, almost all of my files show as a type document, as you can see. Even music does. I do not understand why this is. I even tried reinstalling again and have the same issue. Does anyone know of a fix, this is extremely annoying. I did not have this porblem before

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 9:42 PM

for anyone having the same issue or a similar issue it has to do with spotlight's preferences. If you change the indexing options it will affect the whole system and not just spotlight. Poor design in my opinion, but I am assuming there is a reason for it. Anyway, you can fix it by making sure, all of the options are checked in spotlight's indexing options.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2012 9:42 PM in response to mcbeav

for anyone having the same issue or a similar issue it has to do with spotlight's preferences. If you change the indexing options it will affect the whole system and not just spotlight. Poor design in my opinion, but I am assuming there is a reason for it. Anyway, you can fix it by making sure, all of the options are checked in spotlight's indexing options.

Why are all my files showing as a document type?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.