Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion on new SSD, other files on other internal HDD

I've been using Mountain Lion from day one, but would now like to put it on a new SSD drive in my Mac Pro.

All my working files (music, photos, movies and emails) have all my files backed up on other drives, so want to do this as a clean install (and not migrating any other files over at the moment, other than emails).

I want to have ML on the SSD drive including all applications I use, but to have Documents, Movies, Photos and Downloads on hard drive (non-SSD) as have more capacity on this. When needed, I will transfer the files to this hard drive from the other drives they are on now.

How can I do this by keeping the majority of my Home folder on another drive.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 12:42 PM

The simplest way to handle this -- AFTER you've migrated or re-installed OS X to thenew SSD - -is then to move your entire home folder (which by default is a subfolder of /Users) to the other drive. That's something I wanted for my 2011 iMac, which came with a factory-installed SSD as well as an internal HD, with OS X and /users already on the SSD as start-up drive.

I found out how by using my AppleCare to phone Apple support. But the same procedure they described seems to be what's at http://macs.about.com/od/diyguidesprojects/qt/Move-Your-Home-Folder-To-A-New-Loc ation.htm .

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2012 12:42 PM in response to AppleMacCider

The simplest way to handle this -- AFTER you've migrated or re-installed OS X to thenew SSD - -is then to move your entire home folder (which by default is a subfolder of /Users) to the other drive. That's something I wanted for my 2011 iMac, which came with a factory-installed SSD as well as an internal HD, with OS X and /users already on the SSD as start-up drive.

I found out how by using my AppleCare to phone Apple support. But the same procedure they described seems to be what's at http://macs.about.com/od/diyguidesprojects/qt/Move-Your-Home-Folder-To-A-New-Loc ation.htm .

Mountain Lion on new SSD, other files on other internal HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.