Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert MP4 to MP3

My new car will allow me to play MP3 songs off a flashdrive. Unfortunately my entire iTunes library appears to be MP4.
Any way I can flip them back to MP3??
Thanks in advance.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 11:00 AM

71 replies

Aug 31, 2017 11:16 PM in response to Chris CA

Hi guys, I noticed a track that was not showing artwork but was stored in the get info 'Artwork' space, so what I did was go to iTunes preferences - select 'General' - go to bottom right hand side > Import settings, changed to mp3, then I selected the track and went to the 'File' tab at the top and selected convert, instantly the artwork appeared.

Happy days

Mar 4, 2013 4:29 PM in response to stgmgr

I have absolutely the same problem. Its like one gigantic mystery how to convert my mp4 videos into mp3. I've seen so many suggestions such as using the program handbrake and I downloaded it and have no idea how to do it through that program. I've tried it through the new itunes and I see absolutely no option to convert it into an mp3, only AAC as you said which I did and was a complete waste of time. I have spent countless hours trying to figure this out and I have come to the conclusion that it is a mystery that no one wants to admit to.

Mar 15, 2013 11:10 PM in response to stgmgr

to convert mp4audio files to mp3 and keeep the original do as previous posters say about going into Edit >Preferences>General>Import Settings and changing the settings to import files as mp3. Then select the songs you want to convert, RIGHT CLICK and choose convert to mp3. Voila. You've got you're original and the new mp3 files. BTW I just did this myself as I wanted to edit some of the songs I've purchased, I'm using the latest version of iTunes too.

Apr 8, 2013 6:53 AM in response to nike18mn

If you select the song with the left mouse button, or even just highlight it by hovering over it, you can *then* right-click and you'll see "Create MP3 Version" in the drop down menu just over half way down. This worked for me. I couldn't find the "advance" menu listed in the 1st response. Maybe that's for a Mac.

Apr 8, 2013 7:00 AM in response to mkda

However, this does not work for files of type "m4p" with the iTunes protection on them. There is a way to first convert an m4p to m4a in iTunes, though it's more complicated and I don't remember all the steps. If anyone remembers how to do this in iTunes then that'd be a great help. Most 3rd party converters I found won't convert a protected file.

Convert MP4 to MP3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.