Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A few iphone tips..

1. Use ONE apple ID. you dont need 17 different apple id's. This is the number one reason why you have those mysterious apps that wont update. You probably have them downloaded from another apple id.

2. restart your iphone (press power button then slide to power off) atleast 3 times a week, and exit out of all apps when you're done using them (double tap home screen, press and hold an app then x out)

3. set up "find my iphone" on your phone because even if you have applecare insurance, they CANNOT track your iphone. Only you can- from icloud.com

4. Do a backup frequently.

5. Try not to sync with multiple devices at a time thats how you lose your contacts and panic

6. If you forget your passcode and you are stuck on the "slide to unlock" screen, please do not call applecare and ask them to fix it. they do not know your password. all you can do is restore as new device, and hope you have a backup (see tip #4)

7.A reset fixes most software related issues (press and hold power button and home button at the same time until you see an apple logo appear. do not do this while plugged in to itunes.)

if all else fails breathe and reboot.

also- if your phone unexpectely powers off, do a reset.

And just because you have wifi enabled dos not mean you are connected to wifi. wifi conections require passwords in most cases, so unless you've entered a password, you are most likely not connected.

anyone else have any good tips?

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 8:16 PM

5 replies

Sep 2, 2012 9:20 PM in response to Appletini6

Appletini6 wrote:

1. Use ONE apple ID. you dont need 17 different apple id's. This is the number one reason why you have those mysterious apps that wont update. You probably have them downloaded from another apple id.

Good advice.

2. restart your iphone (press power button then slide to power off) atleast 3 times a week, and exit out of all apps when you're done using them (double tap home screen, press and hold an app then x out)

Unnecessary. Apps that you see by double tapping the home button are not running.

3. set up "find my iphone" on your phone because even if you have applecare insurance, they CANNOT track your iphone. Only you can- from icloud.com

Thank you, thank you, thank you for bringing this up. It is very important ⚠⚠

4. Do a backup frequently.

Agree. I recommend iCloud over iTunes because people always complain about data loss when restoring in iTunes. I also recommend doing software updates over the air (Settings > General > Software Update on iOS 5) instead of iTunes for the same reason.

5. Try not to sync with multiple devices at a time thats how you lose your contacts and panic

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't let friends or anyone other than yourself sync their devices to your computer.

6. If you forget your passcode and you are stuck on the "slide to unlock" screen, please do not call applecare and ask them to fix it. they do not know your password. all you can do is restore as new device, and hope you have a backup (see tip #4)

And if iTunes asks for a password, restore in Recovery Mode: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

7.A reset fixes most software related issues (press and hold power button and home button at the same time until you see an apple logo appear. do not do this while plugged in to itunes.)

Also good troubleshooting advice.

Sep 2, 2012 10:30 PM in response to Appletini6

btw I prefer icloud as well but i would much rather just restore as new and then sign in to icloud and have my things come back that way then restore problems over problems =) and by the way you probably know as well as i do there are people out there who use their phones all day, charge them at night, and never ever turn them off. it may be a phone, but its also a computer. You do not want a computer up and running for days and days and weeks at a time. treat your electronics nicely- they are expensive.

A few iphone tips..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.