Libsyn does support byte-range requests. However the feed you link to has no 'enclosure' tags which should contain the URLs of the media files, and indeed there are no links of any sort to mp3 files in it: the feed isn't really a podcast feed at all but a straight blog feed and iTunes won't accept it.
Thanks Roger. I guess I'm confused on the process then.
If my goal is to have both a video podcast and an audio only version leveraging libsyn and feedburner what are my steps?
1. Write blog post
2. Upload a video file and audio file to libsyn
3. add video url and audio url to the blog post
4. and use feedburner url to setup in itunes
I guess I'm unclear on the actual steps because the process I followed clearly didn't work.
Thanks for your help.
For a start off if you have are going to have audio and video versions it's better to have them as two separate podcasts: otherwise audio subscribers are going to have to download the video versions as well and they won't thank you for that.
I can't answer for how Libsyn works exactly: but a podcast feed has a very specific layout, and must include an 'enclosure' tag for every episode, containing the URL and some other information. Could I suggest you read my page here:
it includes a sample basic feed. I'm not suggesting that you should start hand-writing your feed, but this should give you a clearer idea of how the general process should work and what a feed should look like.
You have to add the episode media file URL to any of these podcast creation systems in a specific way: just posting the URL as a link in the description won't get you anywhere.
Robert Walch, who also posts here, works for Libsyn and will very likely pop up and offer you some specific advice.
Please reach out to me at rob at wizzard dot tv
Let me know what your libsyn account is and I can help you get set up.
But as an FYI - you should just your your Libsyn RSS feed. Which is
Again contact me at the email above and I can help you out.
Libsyn / Wizzard Media
Hi Robert and Roger,
I'm having the same problem as Greg – that is, my RSS feed generated in LibSyn and then run through Feedburner is rejected by iTunes for not having byte range enabled. Greg says he figured out how to correct his feed but didn't share the solution.
Would you have a look at my feed? Here it is:
Although your media file is hosted on Libsyn the URL in the feed is to Google Feedproxy where a 301 redirect is in place. Testing both URLs for byte-range request capability suggests that this is not in place - the results from the direct URL is
curl -I -r 200-300 http://traffic.libsyn.com/tribfest/Opening-Session.mp3
HTTP/1.0 302 Found
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 06:33:12 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu)
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.3.9-ZS5.6.0 ZendServer/5.0
The Libsyn URL redirects to
I don't know why this should be; but as Libsyn does handle byte-range requests something odd is going on. Hopefully Robert will post back and can throw some light on this (though I've seen FeedProxy cause problems any number of times and you may want to reconsider using it).
Turn off the individual episode tracking via feedburner - that redirect of the episode files just adds in one more place for things to break and go wrong - and realy offers you nothing stat wise you can't get with your libsyn stats.
Once you remove that try to resubmit your feed to iTunes.
email me directly if you have any other questions.
<Email Edited By Host>
I had to create a new feed in feedburner that was just for the category of posts that were a part of the podcast.
So burned a new feed: http://mobilemixed.com/category/interviews-guests/feed
Now my work flow is put the mp3 in iTunes, add all the info, image, name, etc. Load to Libsyn, then add that direct URL to wordpress using powerpress.
That got it working.
However, my new problem is that I started with the latest episodes. Now when I add the audio files to older episodes they don't show up in the feed or in iTunes.
Anyone have that problem before?
To turn off individual feed stats - Go to feedburner - and then to your feed - Then select "Analyze" tab and on the left hand side - lower part look for "Configure stats" Then de-select the box next to "Items Views" Also de-select "item link clicks and "item enclosure downloads"
Then click "save"
That should remove any of the redirect Feedburner had in there for your episodes.
To GregHickman - Please note now with Libsyn - if you have a self hosted wordpress site - you can set it up to publish right to your wordpress blog. Here is a link on that.
Here's the feed and I'm using Libsyn as my host.
Your feed has just the one episode, that of November 1st, and it can be subscribed to manually in iTunes. Searching on the title produces no result in the iTunes Store.