Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote Desktop & Mountain Lion

I just upgraded 2 MacBook Pro notebooks and a Mac Mini to Mountain Lion. I also upgraded Remote Desktop to 3.6.1 on all computers. Prior to Mountain Lion, Remote Desktop worked great on each computer. Now after the update, Remote Desktop no longer works. On all of the computers, Remote Desktop can see the other computers but when I try to control one of the other computers, the message comes back that the connection failed.

On any computer I can see the others in finder and connect to them so the network seems to be working but Remote Desktop does not allow for me to connect and control.

Any advice would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 5:08 AM

5 replies

Sep 3, 2012 1:37 PM in response to Ray Demel

Same issues here. I control 3 computers in my household with ARD. ARD worked just fine. THEN, Just updated the admin machine which is a retina MacBook Pro to 3.6.1 and I still see all the computers on the list but cannot observe or control them... I get the message that it cannot connect and to check setting on the remote machines. I am using 10,8.1 on the admin MacBookPro and 10,7,4 is running on all three remote machines. Funny thing is that I can control and observe one of the remote computers which is an iMac but not the other two which are MacBookAirs.... Mountain Lion and/or ARD 3.6.1 has really messed things up!

I deleted all computers in ARD window and set them all up again and I checked all my network setting and the sharing settings on each remote machine. All were as they should be...

Jan 1, 2013 7:21 PM in response to danfromamsterdam

Back to My Mac works in ML if you do the following:

go to:

1) System Preferences

2) Sharing

3) Make sure Remote Management is checked

4) Under Remote Management click on Computer Settings

5) Check all the boxes (Show Remote..., Anyone may request...., VNC viewers may control.....) and put in a password inside the VNC viewers may control screen with password

6) Leave the computer information boxes empty

7) Click OK

8) Click Options under Remote Management

9) Check all 10 boxes, click 'OK'

This will enable the computer you want to watch to be reached if you previously had access under Lion but lost it under ML.

I think some of the boxes I told you to check may be left unchecked, but since this particular method worked for me flawlessly, I would suggest you do this first, and then tweak later. Now, if you didn't have access previously under Lion, that means some firewall is preventing access and you may have to tweak your router -- these instructions will not help you.

This method works over the internet or locally, and it allows ARD 3 to work properly, thank you very much. I use ARD to manage all the computers in my office, and I was pulling my hair out trying to figure why I lost access after upgrading to ML and why our new iMacs with ML would not allow remote access.

These particular instructions are probably buried somewhere underneath layers and layers of help screens explaining how to enable Back to My Mac, but Apple should have it made simple as it usually does.

Hope this works for you. Good luck and you may now upgrade to ML without fear of losing remote access through Back to My Mac.

Remote Desktop & Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.