Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make a Extras Casting check-in spreadsheet?

I do extras casting for movies and was looking to make a spreadsheet for it. I have a .csv list of information (last name, first name, role, email, etc) and was looking for the spreadsheet to something kinda basic, when i type the last name in the spreadsheet that it will either automatically fill in the other blanks with the rest of the person's info or for it to have a pop-up window that would have all of the names and when i chose the one i want, then it would automatically populate the rest. I am extremely dumb when it comes to Numbers or Excel and I'm not sure how to do it...if anyone has any suggestions of a template to use or how to make one i would GREATLY appreciate it...Thanks

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 8:49 AM

3 replies

Sep 13, 2013 5:12 PM in response to burdell1

What you're looing for is a Lookup table, containing the data for all cast members, and a calling table ("Main") to retrieve the data for named players.

That's easily handled using one of the Lookup functions. My preference is for VLOOKUP, which allows you to specify an exact match:

User uploaded file

The complete data set is kept on the table "lookup", on the right.

On the "main" table, each last name is entered in column A, and the information matching that name on the lookup table is returned to the cells to the right of that name using the formula below:

main::B2: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP($A,lookup :: $A:$E,COLUMN(),FALSE),"NF")

fill the formula down to row 10, and right to column E.

VLOOKUP searches for the value in column A, looking in the first column of the lookup table (A), and returns the value in the nth column of that table. The FALSE argument makes VLOOKUP reject a 'close match', and accept only an exact match. 'nth' is set by the COLUMN() function, which returns the column number ofthe column containing that iteration of the formula.

IF VLOOKUP does not find an exact match for the search value (see main::row 8 — Ell, and the rows below it where no value has yet been entered in column A), the error is caught by IFERROR, and the formula returns the text NF (Not Found).

More detail on VLOOKUP, COLUMN and IFERROR can be found in the iWork Formulas and Functions User Guide, which can be downloaded via the Help menu in Numbers '09.

Regards,

Barry

How can I make a Extras Casting check-in spreadsheet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.