Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Too large for the volume's format?

Just bought a new Western Digital Elements harddrive and started draggin some video files to it when i got this messege:

"The item “My Item” can’t be copied because it is too large for the volume's format

Is there any way i can drag files to it that are bigger than 4GB ?

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 10:15 AM

Then you need to reformat the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). It is currently formatted to be used with both a PC and OS X however you are running into it's limitation in that format. If you don't know how to format an EHD then please click Format, Erase, or Reformat a Drive

41 replies

Jul 19, 2018 1:19 AM in response to CORRECT ANSWERS

Thanks, i think this fixed my problem. I am trying to format the external drive so that I can synchronise an external HD connected to my Mac with an external HD on a PC at another location using bittorrent sync. Hope it's going to work for me!!

Dec 21, 2012 9:41 AM in response to Sinead55

Klaus1 is correct. There really isn't an elegant solution for using a single EHD for both PC's and Macs. If you are in a mixed environment where you have to have both PC's and Macs then you have to work out your own solution keeping in mind the compromises you will have to make. However if you are simply migrating from a PC to a Mac then it's best to complete the migration using the suggestions in Apple Switch Basics and then re-purpose the EHD by formatting to Mac OS Extended and use it as a backup drive or a drive for external storage. You can find Switch Basics at:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2518

Dec 21, 2012 9:59 AM in response to Sinead55

Sinead55 wrote:

Thanks. Just checked and sd card is in fat 32. How do i go about switching to ex fat?

i read the article you reccommended to original question but it doesnt mention anything about sd cards.

I was replying to the OP, he does not have an SD card. You do, so leave it as Fat32

I did not link to or recommend an article either.

Too large for the volume's format?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.