Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use Time Capsule as network drive (file server)?

In addition to using it for Time Machine backups, can Time Capsule be used as a network drive (file server) that can be accessed from any WiFi connected computer for data access and to stream my music and videos stored on it? I would like to use it as my main household storage device as well as for backing up my mobile devices. Then my plan is to back up the main storage device using an online service such as Carbonite. Also, is TC user interface web-based so I can access files and media from anywhere? Does TC have these features, or do I need to go with a system such as Synology?

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 1:56 PM

The TC is designed as a backup target for Time Machine in laptops particularly. It is a dumb hard disk inside a router. Nothing more.. there is no servers.. there is no web access.. there is no ftp, http, ssh, or any other sort of access.. plain old AFP and SMB.

You can store files on it but there is no way to auto backup those files. There is no way for instance to copy those files to a dropbox.. you can do it via a computer..

We strongly recommend not using it to store your itunes library or any other library for that matter. Hence it cannot stream media.. you can put media files on it and stream from a player.. but the Apple TV for instance (unless JB) cannot play them.

Go with the Synology.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2012 1:56 PM in response to mcouperide

The TC is designed as a backup target for Time Machine in laptops particularly. It is a dumb hard disk inside a router. Nothing more.. there is no servers.. there is no web access.. there is no ftp, http, ssh, or any other sort of access.. plain old AFP and SMB.

You can store files on it but there is no way to auto backup those files. There is no way for instance to copy those files to a dropbox.. you can do it via a computer..

We strongly recommend not using it to store your itunes library or any other library for that matter. Hence it cannot stream media.. you can put media files on it and stream from a player.. but the Apple TV for instance (unless JB) cannot play them.

Go with the Synology.

Use Time Capsule as network drive (file server)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.