Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally Two Accounts for Same Person

I am playing the role of IT for my mom this weekend, despite my amature-level knowledge of computers and have discovered that she somehow has created two users on her computer, one of her first name and one of her first and last name. I discovered this when looking up a file and found that she has two documents folders. I would like to delete one of the accounts but am worried about the implications of doing so. Her documents folders appear to be identical except when she moves a file, it doesn't move from both. I'm confused as to how she has saved documents to both users. She is oblivious to the problem, but I think clearing it up would help her use her folders with much less confusion.

Does anyone have advice about how to do this? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 10:37 AM

1 reply

Sep 3, 2012 1:53 PM in response to johnny boy

Try dragging folder #2 to the desktop, highlight the folder, dropdown the the file menu and see if the folder is locked. If the folder is locked, unlock it (you might need a password), then try dragginig it into folder #1. Confirm that both folders are there with all data, and if they are delete acct#2.

Tell her this makes stuff much harder to keep track of:)

Do a back up first!

Accidentally Two Accounts for Same Person

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.