Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Perplexed with Home Sharing issue

Hello,

Here is a strange problem that I have, hopefully someone can show me where I missed something easy 🙂

1. ComputerA (iMac, 10.8.1, wired)
    • Homesharing Enabled
    • Sees ComputerB Homeshare
  2. ComputerB (HP Proliant DL320 G5, Win2k8r2, wired, 2 nics)
    • Homesharing Enabled
    • Sees ComputerA Homeshare
  3. ComputerC (HP Something or other, Win7 Home Premium, wired)
    • Homesharing disabled
    • Sees ComputerB Homeshare
  4. AppleTV 3 - LivingRoom (Latest iOS, wireless)
    • 2.4GHz Network
      • Does not see ComputerB Homeshare
    • 5.0GHz Network
      • Does not see ComputerA Homeshare
  5. AppleTV 2 - Bedroom (Jailbroke, wireless)
    • 2.4GHz Network
    • 5.0GHz Network
      • Does not see ComputerA Homeshare

Network setup is as follows

1. Cable-Modem->
  2. Wireless Router(DHCP off, DNS, DHCP Comes from Win2k8r2 server)->
    • iPhone 1
    • iPhone 2
    • Macbook 1
    • Macbook 2
    • AppleTV 1
    • AppleTV 2
  3. 16 Port Gig Switch->
  • Computers (iMac, Win2k8r2 Server [DHCP/DNS/DC/WDS/File Shares/Print Server], HP Desktop, HP Laptop)
  • Telephone System (netTalk Duo)
  • AT&T Microcell

• So, as you can see, all of my wired devices can see the homeshare(s) just fine without issue. The wireless devices are of course not able to see it, even though they are on the same network (192.168.2.x). I have no problems with streaming netflix, or anything else from the ATV's. The connect and get their DHCP lease (reserved) without issue. The only issue I seem to have is them accessing the dang homeshares that are available.

Some notes. I am moving all iTunes libraries to the Win2k8r2 server.

1. The Win2k8r2 Server is not running IPv6 at all. I have disabled it and rebooted the machine.
    2. All firewall rules that would be required for both Bonjour and iTunes Homeshares are in place, and probably more open than they need to be.
    3. I have also attempted turning off the firewall completely on the Win2k8r2 machine
    4. The router has no firewall enabled
    5. There are no multicast options that I can find (Belkin Play N600). It is also being replaced tomorrow or Thursday with a Cisco router that is more robust but I cannot test with that right now

Any ideas on where I should go from here? It would *seem* to me that it has something to do with the router, but I am not sure where to go from here in investigating that.

Thanks

AppleTV 3

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 11:38 PM

This was solved by swpping the POS Belkin router out to a decent Cisco RV180w as the Belkin was unable to support a decent configuration 🙂

1 reply

Perplexed with Home Sharing issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.