Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

utorrent randomly opens?

does anyone have an issue where utorrent seems to open out or nowhere, whilst you are surfing the internet?

there is nothing i can think of that i may have done for it to open (not clicked on a torrent etc)

could this be a security issue ?

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 12:24 PM

10 replies

Sep 3, 2012 12:35 PM in response to candlewax48

So you're not talking about a website, but an application letting you download things from torrent sites?

I would no more install that kind of thing than willingly install a virus, nor would I go anywhere near the utorrent site since a lot of downloadable stuff is illegally obtained and/or contains unwanted "add-ons".

Check your Settings in your accounts in System Preferences to see if it is listed there and if it is, delete or deactivate it. I don't believe Skype or a chat service would have anything to do with it, but since I don't have it installed, I am guessing here. My suggestion would be to uninstall it and get my downloads from reputable sources (and pay for them).

Sep 3, 2012 12:40 PM in response to candlewax48

As babowa said, torrents of illegal software is the number one way crooks get malware on your Mac, as it is harder than heck to do so otherwise. They take a real copy of the software and put all kinds of things in it you would never want on your computer, such as back-doors, keyloggers, etc. When you enter your admin password to install the illegally obtained software, you also give it full permission to install things you weren't expecting. It doesn't need to ask you again.

Sep 3, 2012 1:57 PM in response to candlewax48

utorrent is a free program. it is what runs torrents.

Yes, that I know. Torrent apps themselves are usually free. It's the majority of what people download with them that are illegal.

video and audio files i have been more lax about, as i assume you cannot piggyback keyloggers onto those

Not that I know of. You're not installing any applications to do that. You already have them and are just playing the files you download.

utorrent randomly opens?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.