10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2012 3:29 PM by Linc Davis
candlewax48 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

does anyone have an issue where utorrent seems to open out or nowhere, whilst you are surfing the internet?

there is nothing i can think of that i may have done for it to open (not clicked on a torrent etc)

could this be a security issue ?

Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • babowa Level 7 Level 7 (25,750 points)

You're saying that this site opens even though you have never visited it? Is this in Safari or another browser and what are your settings in the Preferences (home page, top sites, etc). Try to delete this everywhere you can find it, including the cookies, history, cache, etc.

• candlewax48 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

utorrent is a program/application.  it randomly opens, yes.  this time, it opened just after I logged into skype, through the service imo.im

• babowa Level 7 Level 7 (25,750 points)

So you're not talking about a website, but an application letting you download things from torrent sites?

I would no more install that kind of thing than willingly install a virus, nor would I go anywhere near the utorrent site since a lot of downloadable stuff is illegally obtained and/or contains unwanted "add-ons".

Check your Settings in your accounts in System Preferences to see if it is listed there and if it is, delete or deactivate it. I don't believe Skype or a chat service would have anything to do with it, but since I don't have it installed, I am guessing here. My suggestion would be to uninstall it and get my downloads from reputable sources (and pay for them).

• Kurt Lang Level 7 Level 7 (34,105 points)

As babowa said, torrents of illegal software is the number one way crooks get malware on your Mac, as it is harder than heck to do so otherwise. They take a real copy of the software and put all kinds of things in it you would never want on your computer, such as back-doors, keyloggers, etc. When you enter your admin password to install the illegally obtained software, you also give it full permission to install things you weren't expecting. It doesn't need to ask you again.

utorrent is a free program. it is what runs torrents.   i do not download programs from torrents, because of the securite risk.  video and audio files i have been more lax about, as i assume you cannot piggyback keyloggers onto those

here is the site where you get utorrent from   http://www.utorrent.com/

• Kurt Lang Level 7 Level 7 (34,105 points)

utorrent is a free program. it is what runs torrents.

Yes, that I know. Torrent apps themselves are usually free. It's the majority of what people download with them that are illegal.

video and audio files i have been more lax about, as i assume you cannot piggyback keyloggers onto those

Not that I know of. You're not installing any applications to do that. You already have them and are just playing the files you download.

yeah,  though odd that this is starting itself.  perhaps i will not have this issue with open source apps

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (147,395 points)

If you have set up a bittorrent server, then it may launch on demand when a request for one of your torrents is received.

thanks, but didn't set anything up.   it's happened before.  yesterday i actually reinstalled mountain lion, so i dont know why it was doing that. the only program i have on here, downloaded from the net is vlc, and utorrent, and chrome

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (147,395 points)

I know nothing about the product, but I'd be surprised if it didn't include some facility for accepting incoming connections, because that's the whole point of the bittorrent protocol. You'd have to ask the developer to explain.