Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple USB SuperDrive with iMac question

From what I've read elsewhere. The Apple USB SuperDrive if connected to current iMac's will not be recognised.

I was wondering if it would be possible to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive to the iMac when it is used with/has a Virtual Machine with Parellels Desktop, would the Apple USB SuperDrive be then recognised in the Windows side?

Thanks in advance.

Windows Vista, iPad (3rd Gen) 32GB iPhone 4S 32GB

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 12:28 PM

19 replies

Oct 14, 2012 11:28 AM in response to tal1971

On generally the same topic:

I'm wanting to use an external cd/dvd drive writer to do the bulk of my burning and ripping. My thinking is that it will take some of the demand off of the internal SuperDrive, plus if the external cd\dvd drive writer failed it would be a relatively easy job to replace it, when compared to the difficulty involved with replacing the internal SuperDrive.

I'm basically wondering if its possible to use an external cd/dvd drive writer with an iMac, and if so which brands, types are the ones that are compatible. From the quick reading around on the net, I've heard LaCie drives mentioned a few times for their compatibility.

Also on occasions I might want to copy from the internal SuperDrive to the external cd/dvd drive, would this be possible?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Oct 15, 2012 1:51 PM in response to garyfromrio linda

garyfromrio linda wrote:

Check Other World Computing http://www.macsales.com/ for DVD burners in addition to LaCie. They have many varieties and prices. I use an external writer for all my burning. And yes, you can copy from the Superdrive to an external writer and vice-versa.

Thanks very much for the help its much appreciated. Unfortuantely I'm in the UK and with international shipping it makes the DVD burners a bit pricey. But at least I know now that its possible to use an external writer to do the vast amount of my burning.

Thanks again.

Oct 15, 2012 11:54 PM in response to infinite vortex

Thanks infinite vortex.

So the method you've mentioned, I assume that you use it with a iMac/Mac and it works fine?

I never thought about making one with an external case/caddie and an internal DVD drive/burner to put in it, I might look into that.

I assume that if I look at the specifications of the DVD burner I wanting to purchase (whether this be a ready made one or an internal one that I would need to put in an external case) and it mentioned that it worked with the Mac and Mountain Lion that the drive should work with no problems, or is it not quite as simple as that?

Thanks again for the help its much appreciated.

Oct 16, 2012 2:44 AM in response to tal1971

As I've not connected it to a current iMac (they've all had working SuperDrives so there was no need to) and it's hard to know exactly why Apple's SuperDrive doesn't work, I can't so I can't give any guarantees something else will work. All I can say is that it's worked with everything I've plugged it in to, including older iMacs.

Ultimately you can assume that there is a specific problem with Apple's drive else assume there a problem with all drives. If you want something better than I can give then maybe you should find someone with a external powered drive for your to try else go to a shop that also sells macs so they can plug it in in-store to show you it working.

Dec 10, 2012 3:02 PM in response to stephenfromhalifax

stephenfromhalifax,

I read with interest your post about adding a command to the Terminal that will allow a

Apple USB SuperDrive to be used with a Mac equipped with a built in Optical Drive.

Unfortunately my attempts to perform this modification were unsuccessful.

First a question: Does the SuperDrive have to be connected to the iMac when the

command is entered?

Next, Here are the steps I took. First I double clicked on the Terminal icon in the Utilities folder

in the Hard Drive and a window opened on the desk top. This first line at the top of the window

had my user name - "bash"- 80X24. The contents of the window had login information followed

on line two with user information, iMac, my user name, a $ and a rectangle.

In addition to opening a window on the desktop, a "Terminal" icon appears in the Dock and when

you click on it a number of choices appear. One of the choices is "New Command". That selection

opens a window that allows you to enter a command, choose "Run command inside a shell" (huh?)

and "Run" or "Cancel".

I decided to try the "New Command" and "Run" option but when I finished the the USB Superdrive

still wouldn't work. Perhaps there is something I'm missing here?

Dec 10, 2012 5:21 PM in response to Agoura Jim

The drive does not need to be plugged in.

I should have been more clear with my instructions.

First, at the "~ 'your user name'$" line, type 'login' and press enter.

'Login:' will appear

type your user name (the same way you type it to log into your account on your computer) and hit enter

'Password:' will appear

type your password (the same way you type it to log into your account on your computer) and hit enter

you will now see the same line 'Computer-Name: ~UserName$'

but now you will have the access required for a sudo ('super user do') command

at this point, type:

sudo nvram boot-args=”mbasd=1″

and hit enter.

then type 'exit' and hit enter (this will log you out)

again type 'exit' and hit enter and you will see:

[Process completed]

Now restart your mac and your super drive will work.

Apple USB SuperDrive with iMac question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.