Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cant get my Brother wireless printer to work with my Mac Book Pro? Some times it prints then some times it tells me it cant find the printer. But both the computer and the printer say there conected.

My Mac Book Pro will for no reason just stop printing on my Brother MFC J825DW printer. The print is connected wirelessly to my MAC wireless output. The printer says it is connected to my MAC. In the preferences on my MAC when i click on Print/Scan it shows my Brother printer. Then when i try and print a box opens up and says " Connecting to Printer" it will say this for a minute then it will say " The printer is not responding" The crazy thing is the only way i can get it to work is if i uninstall the print and reinstall it. The printer will work for as long as it wants to maybe about a day or so then the problem happens again. Why is this happening and what can I do to fix it? I am using a Mac Book Pro OS X VERSION 10.7.4 LION. I have downloaded all the latest drivers from your Brother and Mac.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 2:53 PM

I am not certain this will fix your problem but I suggest you assign the printer a static IP address.

Using the printer's front panel, select Menu > Network > WLAN > TCP/IP > Boot method, and change it to "static". Provide a static IP address that is on your LAN's subnet.

For example, if you are using an AirPort Extreme, you might give it an IP address of 10.0.1.100. If you are using a Netgear or Linksys router that defaults to issuing 192.168.x.x addresses, you might give it an address of 192.168.1.100. That way, the printer will always "reside at the same address" on your network. If your router has the ability, you should reserve that address so that the router does not attempt to assign it to another DHCP device.

Then, go to System Preferences > Print & Scan, and delete your existing printer with the "–" (minus) button. Add it again, using the "+" (plus) button. In the window that appears, select the IP pane, and from the Protocol menu select "Line Printer Daemon (LPD)". In the Address field type the IP address you gave your printer.

If all goes well the "Pring Using" field will detect the printer at that address and automatically select the appropriate driver. You will see something similar to the following screenshot ("name" can be whatever you decide, and "location" is optional):

User uploaded file

Click Add, then you can close System Preferences.

There are other possible reasons your printer is "not responding" which could include wireless interference from competing wireless networks, but try this "static IP" method first. It should mitigate the problem.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2012 2:53 PM in response to Freedomland

I am not certain this will fix your problem but I suggest you assign the printer a static IP address.

Using the printer's front panel, select Menu > Network > WLAN > TCP/IP > Boot method, and change it to "static". Provide a static IP address that is on your LAN's subnet.

For example, if you are using an AirPort Extreme, you might give it an IP address of 10.0.1.100. If you are using a Netgear or Linksys router that defaults to issuing 192.168.x.x addresses, you might give it an address of 192.168.1.100. That way, the printer will always "reside at the same address" on your network. If your router has the ability, you should reserve that address so that the router does not attempt to assign it to another DHCP device.

Then, go to System Preferences > Print & Scan, and delete your existing printer with the "–" (minus) button. Add it again, using the "+" (plus) button. In the window that appears, select the IP pane, and from the Protocol menu select "Line Printer Daemon (LPD)". In the Address field type the IP address you gave your printer.

If all goes well the "Pring Using" field will detect the printer at that address and automatically select the appropriate driver. You will see something similar to the following screenshot ("name" can be whatever you decide, and "location" is optional):

User uploaded file

Click Add, then you can close System Preferences.

There are other possible reasons your printer is "not responding" which could include wireless interference from competing wireless networks, but try this "static IP" method first. It should mitigate the problem.

Jan 3, 2016 9:48 AM in response to John Galt

This solved my problem but only temporarily. Sometimes the printer works, other times it comes up with "printer not responding". I've tried re-doing the process, re-installing the printer, but it just sometimes decides not to work. Very frustrating. This also happens with my Macbook Pro and my small photo printer (Canon Selphy), sometimes it also just comes up as "printer not responding".

Feb 6, 2016 8:19 AM in response to Freedomland

Although it gives the appearance of printing DIRECTLY from your Mac, your Mac sends the Print data to your Wireless Access Point (Router) and the wireless Printer gets its data from your Wireless Access Point (Router). If the Printer reception from the Router is marginal, so will be your Printing.

You could try moving the Printer or the Router (or both) closer together for better reception. Most of the cabling involved can be hundreds of feet long, so neither device should be left in an awkward place simply due to cabling.

Feb 6, 2016 8:42 AM in response to Freedomland

UPDATE:

I set up a static ip address on the printer (printer's front panel, select Menu > Network > WLAN > TCP/IP > Boot method, and change it to "static"). This worked but only temporarily.

Now I also deleted the "printer" that the brother installation set up, and added a new one as explained above by John Galt.Seems to be working fine now. Hope it stays like that. My printer is Brother MFC-L27400W and I am on OS X 10.10 on MacBook Pro.

Apr 11, 2016 5:01 AM in response to Freedomland

My solution was to:

1) Use the default of "Obtain DNS server address automatically" for the network interface card TCP/IPv4 settings

2) Go into the Device Manager and under Imaging, delete all copies of the Brother printer. I happened to have four of them (that could be a contributor to my problem). While deleting those devices, I also uninstalled the printer driver.

3) Remove all copies of the Brother printer and faxes from Devices and Printers

4) Restart the PC

5) Then, reinstall the Brother printer software and follow the instructions to restart the PC.

Source(s):

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20141117205723AArNcNM

May 3, 2016 10:48 AM in response to Freedomland

I hear your frustration, have had tons of issues and Brother has awful customer service. They told me "we have never heard of this issue" and would not solve my ticket.

I followed the Brother setup to the letter and it still did not work.

I tried the static IP approach and it worked for printing, but I would have to restart my scanner every time I needed to scan a page, which obviously is a pain.

When I got a new laptop, even the static IP approach would stop working.

So, today I setup the printer with the ip but chose 'Air Print' instead of Brother CUPS or the other settings. Seems to be working fine now but I am sure it will not last long.

I think the deep sleep option is the reason why it does not work, in deep sleep seems unable to communicate to the computer.

It's definitely not a good printer for Mac users.

Hope this helps.

Aug 24, 2016 5:43 PM in response to Freedomland

This very issue drove me insane for months with my Macs and Brother HL_L2340DW printer. I tried reinstalling the printer driver, creating a static IP on the printer and on my router, various attempts at reboots, a USB cable, pretty much anything anyone suggested might help with the issue and had consistent problems. I was so fed up that I literally was looking on Amazon for a new printer, when a friend convinced me to call tech support.

Brother tech support were surprisingly helpful. Here is what they told me to do:

- Uninstall/delete your printer from System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, and when you reinstall, select CUPS rather than AirPrint under the Use drop-down. Note that the default is AirPrint so you have to look at other options when agreeing to add the printer.

- Navigate on your tiny printer screen toward Network > WLAN > TCP/IP > IPV6. Apparently this is the preferred/updated protocol and was not something I had seen online before. I then had to painfully select the password (beware that there are upper and lower cases, and you have to select through them with just the arrow buttons).

- Reboot the printer and print!

I cant get my Brother wireless printer to work with my Mac Book Pro? Some times it prints then some times it tells me it cant find the printer. But both the computer and the printer say there conected.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.