Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac severe lag upon start up

Hey guys, I really need help,

I ws saving a movie fr YouTube on my mac in After Effects cs5,

But instead of saving it as a QuickTime movie file, I saved it as a PNG sequence, which is a picture fr every frame, there ws a few thousand frames, and I forgot to make a folder, so there is over a thousand picture files on my desktop,

It completely lagged out my mac fr a few hrs so I turned it off, when I switched it back on after about 5 seconds without even any icons popping up or anything it froze, so I thought maybe if I leave it on, it will un freeze, it didn't work, so now every times switch it on, it freezes after about 5 seconds,

I haven't been on it in a few days because of how bad, and frustrating it has been,

I would be extremely grateful if some one was able to help me get around this problem, I really need help.

It would be handier if you could contact me on Skype as I'm nt on these forums much, add mark.davidson19 on Skype, nd I will be on my iPad and if you want will show u fr yourself what it is like, however if you do not hav Skype, I will be looking back at this forum for the next few hours,

I would be extremely grateful if you can find away around this,

THANK YOU

iMac, iOS 4.3.3, This mac is about 6 months old

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 3:39 PM

25 replies

Sep 3, 2012 4:04 PM in response to -_-SwagR

Two options for you:

If you have another Mac, connect the two with a Firewire cable, restart the Mac holding down the T key - you will see its hard drive mount to the desktop of the other Mac. Click it, click cmd-i. At the bottom of the Get Info screen, you'll see Ownership and Permissions. Click "Ignore ownership on this drive". Then navigate to your user's desktop and delete the files.

Second option. Reboot the Mac and hold down command and S keys when the screen turns black. Keep them held down - the Mac will restart in single-user mode (a text prompt). Type:

fsck -fy (hit return)

mount -uw / (hit return)

and then use "cd" to navigate to your user's desktop - eg

cd /Users/yourname/Desktop

Once there, you can use "rm *.png" to delete all the png files from your desktop. Type "reboot" when you're done.

Matt

Sep 4, 2012 9:17 AM in response to -_-SwagR

Not "rm .png".

rm *.png

You have to be precise when you type commands in single-user mode.

And make sure you're in the correct directory. You can type "pwd" (and hit return) and it should show you

/Users/YOURNAME/Desktop

(if you're in the correct folder). If it shows something else, use "cd" to navigate to the correct folder first, then re-try the "rm" command above.

Matt

Sep 4, 2012 10:26 AM in response to -_-SwagR

Maybe too many files for rm to handle. Try this.

Move back one directory so you're looking at your home folder. From the Desktop directory, type:

cd ..

and then just rename your desktop folder:

mv Desktop Desktop2

Then type reboot. The system will create a new empty desktop do you, and your old files (including the errant pngs) will be in Desktop2. You can trash them in the finder.

Matt

IMac severe lag upon start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.