Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connected to wifi but internet won't work (airport router)

Help,

I've tried everything to get my ipad to connect to the internet. It says there is an excellent connection to my router (airport) and my imac & iphone work fine.

So far I have:

fogotten the network

reset the network

reset my ipad (completely and reinstalled everything)

turned off the airport router for 2 minutes

Added static ip address, sub address and DNS

Does anyone have any ideas?

Earlier in the week I had an amplifier installed to improve the signal for my cable modem. Could that be interfering with just my ipad?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

~Reva

airport-OTHER

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 3:43 PM

1 reply

Aug 31, 2014 12:57 AM in response to Reva90

Hi!

So I'll explain my problem and how I fixed it.

I have two macs and iphones in the house. I use an airport time capsule.

The ethernet works just fine.

Wifi on one iphone and one mac works fine.

The other two don't. If I self-assign an IP address, the other mac works, but the iphone still doesn't work.

I searched everywhere and tried a lot of crazy stuff.

Here's what was wrong:

The airport was not assigning an IP address, or it was too slow so the mac and iphone assigned their own. A self assigned IP looks like this:

169.254.xxx.xxx

Internet connection does not work with an IP address space of 169.254.xxx.xxx from ISP, router, or manual configuration

An IP assigned by the airport (DHCP), should look like this:

(10.0.1.25 or similar).

Solution: Reset the airport to factory settings. Reconfigure wifi network.

Took 5 minutes. Super easy. Fixed everything. Now all devices work, no problem. The airport automatically assigns proper IPs.

Also, if you have a backup on your Time Capsule, don't worry. It won't be deleted, and when you connect to the newly configured airport with Time Machine, it will automatically find the old backups and continue as usual (just tried this today. absolutely no problems.

Hope that helps everyone!

I hope it reaches the people who need it!

connected to wifi but internet won't work (airport router)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.