Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the latest version of itunes that works with powermac?

Trying to update Ipod Touch software but can't find latest version of itunes software that runs on a powermac (not Intel mac).

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 8:11 PM

15 replies

Sep 3, 2012 8:26 PM in response to metzenbaum

Technically speaking the current iTunes version runs on even a G4 PowerPC Mac. You need OS X 10.5.8 "Leopard" or later though.

If you're really running Panther as your system information suggests, you will need an older version of iTunes - version 7.7.1. You will have to search for a source - I could not find one on Apple's website.

I do not know if that version will support your iPod Touch though. However, I believe Tiger and iTunes 9.2.1 will: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1056

Aug 27, 2013 6:25 PM in response to C F McBlob

wont work on a ppc mac, only intel based macs...

"Software:

• Mac OS X version 10.6.8 or later
• Safari 4.0.3 or later
• 350MB of available disk space
• iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match availability may vary by country.

Hardware:
• Mac computer with an Intel Core processor and 512MB of RAM
• To play 720p HD video, an iTunes LP, or iTunes Extras, a 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor and 1GB of RAM is required.
• To play 1080p HD video, a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor and 2GB of RAM is required.
• Screen resolution of 1024x768 or greater; 1280x800 or greater is required to play an iTunes LP or iTunes Extras
• Broadband Internet connection to use the iTunes Store
• Apple combo drive or SuperDrive to create audio, MP3, or back-up CDs; some non-Apple CD-RW recorders may also work
• Apple SuperDrive to back up your library to DVDs; some non-Apple DVD-RW drives may also work"

Aug 27, 2013 6:41 PM in response to C F McBlob

kinda a big bummer...g4s are work horse computers! they just refuse to die! my recording studio is g4 mac based! i have an apple talk network set up where i can share files between computers, etc. it would be nice if you could share filed from ipad mini through a local cloud like that! but, it looks like the only way to move video is to email small edits to yourself. kinda ***! (if you don't have the latest greatest mac!)

Aug 27, 2013 9:38 PM in response to jamiewoody

jamiewoody wrote:

john, i am running itunes 10.6.3 on a g4 or leopard 10.5.8

for some reason, itunes 11 would not mount though. sigh...i have been trying to figure out how high i can go with itunes.

iTunes 10.6.3 is the last version of iTunes to support Mac computers with Mac OS X 10.5.8 with either Intel or PowerPC processors.

iTunes 10.6.3 for Mac (Leopard or later):

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1575

iOS devices running iOS 6 requires iTunes 10.6.3 or later.

What's the latest version of itunes that works with powermac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.