Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad doesn't rotate

I wonder if anyone can help? My iPad ( the new ipad / ipad 3) has suddenly stopped rotating the screen. It only changes from portrait to landscape and vice versa if you lock the screen turn the iPad and then unlock. I've tried looking through general settings to see if I can work it out but haven't come across any answers. If anyone knows how to fix this I'd be really gratefull for any pointers! Thank you!

The new iPad -OTHER

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 3:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 3:32 AM

The only setting is to set what the switch on the side of the iPad controls (Settings > General > Use Side Switch To, rotation lock and notification mute). If the rotation isn't working properly then try a reset : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2012 3:32 AM in response to nat0502

The only setting is to set what the switch on the side of the iPad controls (Settings > General > Use Side Switch To, rotation lock and notification mute). If the rotation isn't working properly then try a reset : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot.

Sep 4, 2012 3:33 AM in response to nat0502

Reboot the iPad and see if that helps.

Reboot the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons.

There is nothing more in the settings that you can do to unlock the screen. You use the software switch in the task bar or the side switch for rotation lock depending on how to configure the lock to work. You might want to have the iPad looked at by an Apple Genius or you can also try restoring the iOS software to see if that fixes it.

My iPad doesn't rotate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.