Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage/ MMS issue

I am looking to turn off sending mms as I get charged for doing so through the carrier although I would still like to be able to recieve mms as not everyone I message has an iphone/iMessage.

Regards

Megan

iPhone 4S

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 3:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2017 5:37 AM

The functioning of iMessage is a bit confused, but here's my understanding from a few years of use:

- In a 1-2-1 iMessage conversation with 'Send as SMS' set to OFF, your iMessage will never send as either SMS or MMS.

Of course, you can still send SMS/MMS to non-iOS users, which includes the iOS 10 Messages effects which your carrier might class as MMS, so be careful who you're sending what to. (Three - one of the large carriers in the UK - even considers a rich link to a website to be MMS if it's not in an iMessage!)

-

In a group conversation, your messages might be classed as MMS rather than iMessages, depending on who you're chatting with. This happens if some people in the group chat aren't using iMessage. If you're not sure everyone in a group is an iMessage user, you're safest to turn off the MMS Messaging option too.

See Apple's explainer of how group messaging works when some participants aren't using iMessage:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202724

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2017 5:37 AM in response to MeganS04

The functioning of iMessage is a bit confused, but here's my understanding from a few years of use:

- In a 1-2-1 iMessage conversation with 'Send as SMS' set to OFF, your iMessage will never send as either SMS or MMS.

Of course, you can still send SMS/MMS to non-iOS users, which includes the iOS 10 Messages effects which your carrier might class as MMS, so be careful who you're sending what to. (Three - one of the large carriers in the UK - even considers a rich link to a website to be MMS if it's not in an iMessage!)

-

In a group conversation, your messages might be classed as MMS rather than iMessages, depending on who you're chatting with. This happens if some people in the group chat aren't using iMessage. If you're not sure everyone in a group is an iMessage user, you're safest to turn off the MMS Messaging option too.

See Apple's explainer of how group messaging works when some participants aren't using iMessage:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202724

Sep 4, 2012 4:28 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I have an inclusive data package so I am only charged for sending the mms not recieving. I have family members who send me pictures this way so I would not like to turn it off and not get pictures. If I turn off the "send as SMS" option in iMessage settings does that include pictures and videos etc or will this only block an SMS being sent?

iMessage/ MMS issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.