Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

websites stop working

I have a weird glitch on two Mac minis since upgrading to Mountain Lion. I have several websites (vhosts) setup, but at some point they stop working - accessing the page in a browser shows the default server page.

At the same time, a new item shows up in /Volumes - a duplicate of the hard drive that the websites are all stored on. I assume it's websites in server cuasing this, because the only folder on the duplicate hard drive is the folder containing all vhost sites.

One last symptom, and I'm not sure if this is related but it seems likely - I get an alert from the server that the host name has changed, almost at random.

Has anyone seen this?

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 7:24 AM

4 replies

Sep 4, 2012 1:35 PM in response to TobyL

The hostname change happens, but I don't see an error in that, since all services seem to keep on going 🙂

What did you do before the sites stopped functioning?

You could not the different settings for your website, delete all sites from the server app, delete all files within /Library/Server/Web/Config/apache2/ and re-add your websites.

Sep 4, 2012 1:52 PM in response to Mark23

I first noticed the problem when websites stopped loading, but the other two problems are way more concerning to me - if the hostname IS changing, why? wouldn't all services be affected by this? And the system has essentially created a duplicate of my external volume - in Finder it shows as the same name it always was, but when I check 'get info' it shows with " 1" appended to the name.

I've deleted all DNS settings and removed all sites and started from scratch, I'm going to update to 10.8.1 and reboot once the work day is done, I'll report my findings.. Thanks!

Sep 5, 2012 5:44 AM in response to TobyL

Well, it's all configured from scratch, including setting up brand new DNS zone and reverse zone and checking the hostname. The sites are now stored in the default location, which I suspect will be enough to keep Server.app happy from now. Frustrating though, would have been nice to store the sites where I want to store them, particularly since they offer the option.

Thanks for the response!

websites stop working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.