Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This is ridiculous. :)

Numbers ('09, v. 2.0.5) is making me feel stupid enough to want to switch to Excel, though I'm hardly an expert in that.

I created a new spreadsheet from the Checking Register template and so far, in various attempts, I have not been able to clear all the values from the sample tables (in order to input my own) without losing some of the formulas/operations. Is there a simple answer to "How do I delete values but keep the function of the cell intact?"

Or, does anybody know where I can get a safe and better-behaved template for simple expense tracking?

Power Mac G5 2.0 (late '05), two PM 7600s (bless 'em), beige G3, CDMA iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 8:41 AM

only select the cells with data YOU should enter, then type delete.

User uploaded file

I have higlighted the cells you should select. Once selected type the delete key.

2 replies

Sep 4, 2012 9:29 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Not exactly the right boundary, but you pointed me in the right direction. The main problem may have been my use of the "delete cell contents" command in the contextual menu instead of the straightforward Edit/Delete. At any rate, everything seems to be working now with my own values. Thanks.

[Edit] No, I have no idea how I ended up marking my own reply as helpful. It's turning out to be one of those days. 🙂

This is ridiculous. :)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.