Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I use Messages without a buddy list

OK, both my wife and I have 10.8, iSight cameras and she also has a new iPad (3). As far as I know, each device has Messages set up properly. How do I create a video connection between any two devices? I haven't used iChat in years but there was a "Buddy List" that indicated who had video capabilities. All the searches I found seem to assume that there is a Buddy List in Messages, there are even commands to select different ones. Ain't gonna happen with these three devices, since none of them have any List. Nor is there any 'video button' in Messages. What obvious, stupidly simple steps am I missing?! 😮

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 8 GB DDR3

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 9:39 AM

9 replies

Sep 4, 2012 5:11 PM in response to xairbusdriver

So the new functionality is requiring two apps instead of one as in iChat. Probably due to iCloud requirements — syncing , etc.

BTW,I don't have anything called iMessage in Mountain Lion, or the latest iOS in the new iPad, nor even our 'old' iPhones with iOS 4.2.1. The only thing on any of these devices is "Messages." That may have been a Mountain Lion change.

I think one thing that might be missing is an actual Contact entry for my wife with her iCloud addy/Apple ID. She only has one because you apparently can't use iCloud without one. I'll set that up and see if it can then be selected and is acceptable as a "Buddy."

Sep 5, 2012 2:55 PM in response to xairbusdriver

HI,

Messages is the App.

It can do iMessages to iPads, iPhones and Messages on Macs sending the said iMessages to either a iPhone Number or an Apple ID

Ideally the same Apple ID is set up across your devices and the Messages app.

You can also use the AIM service and/or jabber by adding the Screen Name (AIM or AIM valid names) or a Jabber ID to the Accounts list (GoogleTalk run a Jabber server).

@mac.com and @me.com names from Apple are also Valid AIM Screen Names and will work providing the password is 16 characters or Less.

AIM and Jabber Accounts will be able to display Buddy Lists (See Window Menu)

By Default they are displayed as one (See General Section of Preferences to Unlink)

Buddy List work the same way iChat ones did and you can Video there with the same iChat Theatre and Screen Sharing functions (And Multiway Audio and Video chats).

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

User uploaded file
10:55 PM Wednesday; September 5, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Sep 6, 2012 12:01 PM in response to Aaronfromfl

HI,

In the Message Menu > Preferences > Accounts I have several non iMessages Accounts (As well as the iMessages Account) listed

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

The two red indicated items show an @me.com (actually my iCloud ID) and an older @mac.com name Logged in to AIM (They are both Enabled)

The Blue bit indicates the + button where to Add Accounts (non iMessages ones)

In the General Section of the Preferences the Linked Buddy List (~Bee's CMD + 1 instruction) can be Unlinked

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

That will then change the Window Menu and the CMD + # items

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

This in turn can take up a lot of Screen Space

User uploaded file

AS you can see the Buddy Lists show some people with the Green Video icon

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

This will start Video with that person "Natively" in the iChat style with the Messages app and without leaving it.

In My previous Post I said it this way

AIM and Jabber Accounts will be able to display Buddy Lists (See Window Menu)

By Default they are displayed as one (See General Section of Preferences to Unlink)

Buddy List work the same way iChat ones did and you can Video there with the same iChat Theatre and Screen Sharing functions (And Multiway Audio and Video chats).

I hope this clears things up for you.

User uploaded file
8:01 PM Thursday; September 6, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

How can I use Messages without a buddy list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.