Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

User interface sound effects stop working randomly in Mountain Lion

Sounds like putting a file in the Trash, emptying the Trash, a file finishing copying, etc...randomly stop working. In System Preferences -> Sound, the "Play user interface sound effects" box is checked. All other sounds [watching a video, playing music through iTunes, etc...] work just fine, so it's not a hardware issue. Restarting the computer seems to fix the issue, but then the system sounds will stop playing at some random point.

Anyone have a solution or are experiencing this problem also?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 11:24 AM

6 replies

Sep 22, 2012 11:36 AM in response to mrbofus

I have the same issue and I thought at first (hopefully) the update to 10.8.2 fixed the problem. Alas, a few days later and the problem has returned.

The only way I have fixed, other than restarting, is to go to Activity Monitor, All Processes and stop coreaudio. It will automatically start again and the interface sounds work.... until they quit again.

So, yes I am experiencing the same problem and hope for a permanent fix.

Sep 25, 2012 5:03 PM in response to fr8tdog

I'm having the exact same issue... as a side note this is the 4th "bug" or "anomaly" I've run into with Mountain Lion 10.8.2 in the last 3 days. This issue is relatively minor (though it should work). Other "bugs", not so minor:

C'mon Apple, let's get back to that "it just works" motto!

That's my $0.02...

Nov 14, 2012 6:32 PM in response to mrbofus

I just came across this. I am having exactly the same problem. It is now a few months later though and I dont see any patches for this. Its so **** annoying as I can at my computer and not know I have any new mail! It can go on like this for days or hours and then SUDDENLY without warning all the noises that shoud have played all play at once! Its like a bad DJ set with blings and bells and trash being emptied all happening at hyperspeed!

So somewhere all these sounds are being stored and then "released" at once. What the ****. I am so dissapointed with Mountain Lion. Its a bad joke. I could go on about all the numerous other problems but want to try and keep focussed on this issue right now. So any suggestions?! Apple employers want to chime in? (Even though I wont hear the chime for a few days....)

PS I am running 10.8.2

Jan 5, 2013 2:51 PM in response to mrbofus

So after a couple months of not seeing this issue, it just randomly started again a couple days ago. Not sure what caused the problem to pop up again, as I haven't installed any new software in a couple months or made any hardware changes. Or conversely, not sure what made the problem disappear a couple months ago.

User interface sound effects stop working randomly in Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.