Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird glitch in Viewer window Retina Display

I've been successfully running Final Cut Studio in Mountain Lion on my 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display for over a week now with no major problems. I am however noticing a weird glitch in the Viewer window in FCP7 playback. It's like a glitch where like a digital band sort of buzzes on the screen randomly when playing back. It doesn't always happen, but just sometimes.

The footage is rendered and doesn't have any 3rd party plug ins or filters on it. Just color correct 3 way and it is rendered.

The footage is ProResLT from a Canon 5DMKII playing off of a LaCie Rugged 500GB hard drive connected via USB 3.0.

The original footage is fine if I look at it on another computer or another monitor so this leads me to believe it is due to the Retina display since this is the first time I have ever experienced it. Has anyone else encountered this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 1:01 PM

9 replies

May 3, 2013 9:12 AM in response to kdengs

can't help you directly since I don't have the same equipment configuration, but...

Have you tried recompressing the material as a different kind of prores? What are the pixel dimensions on the footage?

Have you tried hooking up an external monitor?

You say this just occurs in the viewer, but do you really mean just the viewer (which with the standard screen configuration is the left monitor) or does this happen with video playing on either the viewer of canvas. Do you see this when you play full screen?

May 3, 2013 9:17 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

This happens with ProResLT and ProRes422, but only on this machine with the Retina display. On my tower with Apple 30" Cinema Display this never happens...

The glitch occurs both in the Viewer window and the Canvas window during playback. And yes, it also occurs during full screen. However - when you export a video either as ProRes or H264 or whatever and play it in QuickTIme - it plays back just fine. This is why I think this is an issue with the software and the Retina display.

Haven't tried an external monitor yet..

Weird glitch in Viewer window Retina Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.