10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2012 6:33 AM by Terence Devlin
omgilovescience Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

hi people,

I was wondering if there is a way to restore only specific albums from time machine. i did a fresh install in my laptop recently and dont want to dump 40gb of pics back on to it, but there are just a few albums i would like to restore. i googled for a while and kept winding up at the "restore library" result, or "restore individual pics" but not just the album. i would imagine iphoto would make a specific fold for said albums, but i cant seem to find it.

please help / thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro, iOS 5.1.1
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (129,370 points)

NO there isn't.

You might want to reconsider your plans. Time Machine is a rolling back up application, not an archiving one. If you delete the photos from the machine (as you did for the "fresh install) then the photos will inevitably also be deleted from Time Machine. When? Simple depends on the disk space available.

Regards

TD

• noondaywitch Level 6 Level 6 (8,130 points)

Right; I'm using 10.6.8 and probably an earlier iPhoto, but this just worked for me -

In your home folder, go to the Pictures folder and select the iPhoto Library.

Right click (or ctrl-click) and select "open package contents" from the contextual menu.

A new window will open.

Find the folder "originals".

In there will be folders by year, choose the appropriate one. If the album you want is shown there, DO NOT Select it yet.

Go to the TM symbol in the menu bar and select "enter Time Machine". You'll be taken into the Star Wars screen with the 'contents' window stretching back in time.

Select your album

Select an earlier backup. (the 'restore tab won't be live in the front window).

When the restore button lights up, click on it to restore the album to the corresponding place on your HDD.

Find the folder "originals".

In there will be folders by year, choose the appropriate one. If the album you want is shown there, DO NOT Select it yet.

Those are not Albums, just the Events as imported. Restoring them will also miss all the edits, metadata added and so on.

Regards

TD

• LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (61,735 points)

Sorry but albums can not be restored - and you can not select them in the show package contents display - albums are simply entries in the iPhoto database and have no physical presence

Additionally showing package contents and entering the iPhoto library is extremely dangerous and a tiny user error can destroy the library and cause dataloss  --  it is strongly recommended to never go into the inside of the iPhoto library and there never is a reason t do so

What you are doing is restoring the originals from an event losing any modifications and any metadata editing

And you are breaking a cardinal rule by making changes to the content of the iPhoto library using something other than iPhoto which will not work - photos muct be imported into iPhoto, not saved into its database

But the biggest problem with the OP's plan is that Time Machine is NOT an archival system but a backup system and eventually it will remove the oldest files so sooner or later the OP would lose their photos that had not been restored

LN

Well spotted, Terence - I must be overdue for bed.

However, I think it will still work if you enter TM after selecting 'originals', then step back through the timeline until the year folders appear.

But Terence is correct - you can't use TM as a storage drive; you need another drive for that.

AS noted below  --  that is a way to resotre selected original photos - but the OP wants to restore select albums  --  this can not be done

LN

LarryHN wrote:

Sorry but albums can not be restored - and you can not select them in the show package contents display - albums are simply entries in the iPhoto database and have no physical presence

Additionally showing package contents and entering the iPhoto library is extremely dangerous and a tiny user error can destroy the library and cause dataloss  --  it is strongly recommended to never go into the inside of the iPhoto library and there never is a reason t do so

What you are doing is restoring the originals from an event losing any modifications and any metadata editing

And you are breaking a cardinal rule by making changes to the content of the iPhoto library using something other than iPhoto which will not work - photos muct be imported into iPhoto, not saved into its database

But the biggest problem with the OP's plan is that Time Machine is NOT an archival system but a backup system and eventually it will remove the oldest files so sooner or later the OP would lose their photos that had not been restored

LN

Agreed to a large extent, but I don't have anything in the Modified folder to try.

My albums appear in originals as folders. But as you say, they are the raw imports.

As to the wisdom of the procedure; it worked, and I was slightly surprised it did from within a package, but i accept your overall premise.

Again you are not seeing albums but events - and the folders you are seeing are finder folders not iPhoto folders  --  you should not be accessing your library using the finder and users are asking questions about iPhoto not the finder - and albums are not physical, they are jsut database entries and you can not see thne using the finder, only using iPhoto

LN

• michaeljmcc Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I seem to have at least two problems.  On my iMac I upgraded to Mountain Lion and then iPhoto 9.3.2.  When I next looked at iPhoto, all the albums had vanished.  Then I noticed that the ap store was signalling an outstanding update.  This was iPhoto again - 9.3.2.  It had been saying installed, now it said install.  So I did and I still don't have any albums. 

When I did the same thing on my MacBook Pro everything was OK - albums still there.  Different albums.

Best to create a new thread for an entirely different issue