Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture can't open my library

For some reason, when I launch Aperture, it displays the usual small window, displaying a spinner, along with "Opening Aperture library...". However, this goes on forever, to no avail. In fact, I left Aperture open overnight, and found the same message in the morning. It seems to have started spontaneously, as I've used this version of Aperture since the last update in the Mac App Store.
Is anyone else having this problem? Has anyone found a solution?

Aperture 3

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 2:54 PM

11 replies

Sep 4, 2012 3:18 PM in response to julesmazur

Yes. I've recently moved to a 15" MBP Retina. Can't get Aperture to launch at all. Tried with existing libraries. No go. Removed all libraries from my system to force creation of a new library. Still won't launch. Tried re-downloading the app from the App store. Still won't launch.

I hear it uses the beautiful new and improved retina graphics. If only I could launch to see.

Sep 5, 2012 1:51 PM in response to Marcel Jurko

I managed to get it working. Here's how.

I have aperture running on anothe rmachine. I created a library on that machine (with a relatively small number of photos in it.)

Exported the library and brought it over to the new MBP retina.

Right-clicked the library in the finder.

Open With --> Aperture.

Worked.

Interestingly - this didn't work the other way around at first, but now it does. In other words, I tried launching Aperture by double clicking it's application icon in the finder (with the only library being the recent import). It froze on launch and I had to force quit. But after getting Aperture to launch using the right click of the library bundle, now Aperture launches by double clicking the application icon. Truely weird.

Good luck to all who are suffering. Hopefully Apple will address this soon.

~ Chris

Sep 5, 2012 1:53 PM in response to julesmazur

What has changed before Aperture started to hang on opening? Did you install new software lately (plug-ins, programs)? Moved the Aperture library to a new drive or location? Have you imported new images? Does your Aperture library contain images and albums imported from iPhoto?

And what is your Aperture version exactly and your MacOS version?

1. If you have imported images recently, you may have imported a corrupted image. Then try to start Aperture with the Shift-key held down. This will defer the generation of previews. Then remove your most recent import from aperture, if you can launch the program.
  2. If you cannot launch with the shift-key held down, try the usual Trouble Shooting: repairing the library and the permissions, rebuilding the library, removing the preferences, see
    Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics

Please report back with more details if this does not resolve the problem

Regards

Léonie

Sep 5, 2012 2:33 PM in response to julesmazur

Does Dreamweaver access and modify the Aperture Library? I have never used that program.

Then try a modification of Chris' method, if you cannot get Aperture to launch with the shift-key held down: Hold down the option key ⌥ when you double click the Aperture icon to create a new library. Can you get Aperture to launch then?

Aperture can't open my library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.