Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Cannot connect to iTunes Store" Error Message? Unable to update apps

I have 17 app updates but when I tap the App Store icon and go to "Updates", I get a message saying "Cannot connect to iTunes Store". I can go into "Featured", "Genius", "Top Charts", "Categories" and "Purchased" with no problem and I can go into iTunes from the iTune app. But I cannot update? Any suggestions??

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 6:32 PM

19 replies

Sep 4, 2012 7:48 PM in response to LiveUnited

The Complete Guide to Using the iTunes Store

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/the-complete-guide-to-using-t he-itunes-store/

Can't connect to the iTunes Store

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1368

iTunes: Advanced iTunes Store troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3297

This works for some users. Not sure why.

Go to Settings>General>Date and Time> Set Automatically>Off. Set the date ahead by about a year.Then see if you can connect to the store.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Sep 7, 2012 9:42 AM in response to LiveUnited

I had exactly this same problem on my iPhone4, It started about 2 weeks ago and no matter what I did (logout then log back in to iTunes, synch to my Mac desktop computer to update the Apps and iPhone, etc), the problem would not go away. Then I went to the Settings>General>Date and Time> and set the date to one year ahead. This did not fix the problem and I instead got a different error message about not being able to make a secure connection to the internet and to open Date and Time. When I went back in and reset the Date and Time to Automatically>On, this did fix the problem. Now I can see the correct window when I press Update under App. I have no idea why this would work or how long this will last. Obviously there is some bug but I have no idea what caused this to happen in the first place or why this would fix the problem. There was no update problem with my iPad2 or iPod Touch Gen4, just the iPhone4.

iPhone4, Mac OS

Sep 7, 2012 11:15 AM in response to LiveUnited

i have the same problem with iPad 1, have tried all the suggestions on various forums: restarted the iPad, reset date and time to future and to past, signed out of iTunes store. My ios is uptodate, my wifi works but I cannot update any apps because "cannot connect to iTunes Store!" Oh, I can access iTunes Store from its app but cannot access the app part. I am beginning to suspect that the problem lies with the app part of iTunes store. Maybe somebody will admit that eventually.

Sep 7, 2012 12:14 PM in response to LiveUnited

Same w/ my iPhone 4, but I update w/ my IMAC as we have 4 individual i-Devices. iTunes seems to have D/L'd all 20 updates sucessfully. My iPhone after a sync says "unable to sync 4 apps" check iTunes. iTunes says nothing about failures w/ sync. When I try to access updates via my device it just says "waiting" at each app, or "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" at the Updates screen @ App Store, despite being able to view all other screens involving "purchasing new stuff". I have enough space on my iPhone, but regardless I deleted two seldom used apps, reconnected with iTunes and then everything synced finally. My iPhone still won't connect to the iTunes store even now. Some glitch we are all suffering from, and as macbwt says somebody should take responsibility and get it fixed.

Maybe I can buy an App to fix my Updates App!

Sep 21, 2012 7:12 AM in response to pry737

Had the same problem, kept getting error message "Cannot connect to the iTunes Store" I switched the automatic time setting off and set the date ahead by one year. Went back to the App Store app this this time I got an earror message that it could not connect but it also asked me to check my date and time settings. Went back to settings switched my date and time setting to automatically set the time. Went back to the App Store tried again and everything worked fine this time.

Go figure.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Oct 8, 2012 6:10 PM in response to LiveUnited

The mention of DNS settings made me look further into that. Specifically whose DNS server is 8.8.8.8. Turns out it is Google. Maybe this is nothing at all, but considering how Apple & Google get along right now, and how busy Google servers can be, I switched my settings to another free DNS server, 4.2.2.2 and I immediately connected to the iTunes store. I just hope this 'fix' is one that stays. After all, how can one connect to anything without a reliable DNS server. I also checked and found my Macbook uses the same DNS as the wireless router. I suggest using the same setting as your router.

"Cannot connect to iTunes Store" Error Message? Unable to update apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.