Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Studio 5 - Upgrade?

I purchased FCS HD 5 (Academic) years back. I loaded it on to my desktop computer, which crashed a number of years ago and i left b/c I had a laptop as well. I didn't even get in to using FCS.

Now, i am on a MacBook Pro, 10.7.3 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7. I am wanting FCP/FCS to cut a project I am working on but of course, FCS is unable to work on my current computer.

Can anyone let me know the route I can go... Am I out to dry and needing to buy a whole new program? Help!

Thank you...

Angela

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 11:09 PM

14 replies

Sep 5, 2012 1:24 PM in response to David Harbsmeier

I'm confused. I have the Academic version of Final Cut Studio HD. On the back it says Final Cut Pro 5 is included.

I cannot load it on to my new computer as I am guessing the program is out of date for the newer Macs.

Will FCP 3 work on my computer if FCP 5 doesn't?

Will FCPX be enough - looks like iMovie...?

Thanks all - I appreciate your time. I'm on a learning curve here...

Angela

Sep 5, 2012 1:54 PM in response to Beep

Angela,

Yes, Final Cut Studio will definitely install and run perfectly well on 10.7…and from what others have reported it will run on 10.8 as well.

Final Cut Pro X has almost nothing in common with the earlier versions. Rather than getting into the pros and cons of the software, I'll just say that having experience with legacy versions of FCP isn't much help…it's that different.

Again, if you buy FCS 3, make sure you buy the full retail version and not the upgrade. I'm 99% sure the academic version of whatever you have will not upgrade.

Russ

Sep 5, 2012 2:26 PM in response to Russ H

Are you saying the version that I have of FCS HD Academic should load on my computer? I wonder why neither my version, nor my husband's version of FCP would download on my computer...

Is there a discussion regarding the pros and cons of FCPX and any other versions? Is FCPX what FCP has turned in to and that is that? No versions that are more professional?

Thank you so much Russ...

Angela

Sep 5, 2012 2:48 PM in response to Beep

Final cut 5 is for power pc only. They did a crossgrade to 5.1 which could work on intel machines. When fcp6 came out it woyld work on either platform. FCP7 which is part of FCStudio 3 is intel only.

FCX is just a glorified imovie with so many missing features plenty of people are leaving it alone. It seems aimed at the youtube kids and not professional editors.

Sep 5, 2012 2:57 PM in response to David Harbsmeier

I'm actually looking at a full copy of Final Cut Studio 5.1 as I type this... no HD markings, but there were HD markings on the Final Cut Studio box. If I had a box with FCP5 in it that said Final Cut Studio and had HD in the corner, I might think it was Final Cut Studio HD 5...

What Beep should be looking for is Final Cut Studio (2009) a.k.a.

"The New Final Cut Studio" or

"Final Cut Studio 3"

Sep 5, 2012 6:33 PM in response to Beep

Pretty good guess, eh?

Studio 5.1 (which was a Universal Binary release so it would run on your current system) is probably really hard to find by now, so I'd advise that you skip it and get either FSC 2 or FCS 3. FCS3 is the last release of this paradigm and has better codec support and some improvements. It may also be more available. In a pinch, either will get you where you want to go.

Good luck!

Sep 6, 2012 8:33 AM in response to Beep

This is an exceptionally subjective (and emotionally charged) question. For some of us the "old school" workflow and style of FCS is important, even crucial. To others the 'iMovie on steriods" style is just as good, even desireable. It very much depends on what you do and how you work.

For me it's FCS all the way, but then I'm just a little indie post guy who has to pay his own bills. I work a lot in Color, which is not supported in FCP X. The alternative color grading systems are out of reach financially. And I've been on FCP for 10 years.

FCX, on the other hand, is getting all the development dollars so it is definitely is the future. And it does some things extraordinarily well. I expect if I was on a field reporting team I'd take FCP X over a hot lunch. In time it may be the standard but right now it's an 8-speed automatic transmission while I need a 4-speed manual transmission with a transfer case and 4-wheel drive.

Take a hard look at FCP X. If you never really got started with your original FCP, it may be just as easy to convert. In the end it will probably be less expensive and better supported as long as your needs match up.

Best of luck

Final Cut Studio 5 - Upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.