Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio not coming from indicated output

Hi,

I am using my 2010 MacMini as a home music server. I have two zones, one connected to the digital output via a Coaxial adapter and the other zone via a DAC connected to one of the USB ports. Given that I can only have one output active at a time I use an Applescript to switch between the outputs depending on where I want to listen to music.

Everything was working well until a few days ago. Now, the output isn't changing irrespective which I choose and irrespective of what is indicated in Preferences/Sound. For example right now, USB DAC is indicated in preferences AND Audio Midi Output, but the sound is coming out of the digital output.

I have tried deleting the audiomidi.plist (or whatever it is called, there is only one as far as I can see) and restarting, but no effect.

I have obviously changed something but can't for the life of me think what. I couldn't swear that it has worked since I upgraded to ML a couple of weeks ago, but I thought it had worked since then.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks

Marc

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 5:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 8:56 AM

Guess this is why.(And it *****!)

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4113

Try HDMI for the digital output while the USB DAC is connected.

6 replies

Sep 6, 2012 1:20 AM in response to nieldm

Before I did the backup I dug a little further into this, as the more I read the response above the more I realised this is not the problem I am facing.

What I have uncovered is as follows:

With iTunes open, triggering my script to switch outputs has no effect. Irrespective of whether Digitial or USB outputs are selected, the music plays through the one it last played through.

I then tried restarting iTunes, which solved the problem. It seems iTunes (my iTunes at least) is only reading the audio output upon startup of iTunes.

Is there a setting for this, is this expected behaviour or is it a bug? I can't be the only one experiencing this?

Any input greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Marc

Sep 6, 2012 10:12 AM in response to nieldm

I think there is something wrong with their Applescript.

I am using a command-line utility (which you can also run from an Applescript) called SwitchAudioSource and it does exactly what you want, without any problem.

You can compile it from source code from here. I just compiled it on Mtn Lion and tested it, and it does what you want.

Here is how you can use it from the command-line:

zsh-% ./AudioSwitcher -h

Usage: ./AudioSwitcher [-a] [-c] [-t type] [-n] -s device_name

-a : shows all devices

-c : shows current device

-t type : device type (input/output/system). Defaults to output.

-n : cycles the audio device to the next one

-s device_name : sets the audio device to the given device by name

zsh-% ./AudioSwitcher -a

Built-in Microphone (input)

Built-in Input (input)

Built-in Output (output)

AudioQuest DragonFly (output)

zsh-%

zsh-% ./AudioSwitcher -c

AudioQuest DragonFly

zsh-%

zsh-% ./AudioSwitcher -s "Built-in Output"

output audio device set to "Built-in Output"

zsh-% ./AudioSwitcher -s "AudioQuest DragonFly"

output audio device set to "AudioQuest DragonFly"

zsh-% ./AudioSwitcher -n

output audio device set to "Built-in Output"

zsh-% ./AudioSwitcher -c

Built-in Output

zsh-% ./AudioSwitcher -n

output audio device set to "AudioQuest DragonFly"

zsh-% ./AudioSwitcher -c

AudioQuest DragonFly

What I can't easily show you is that it "does the right thing" instantly when I issue the switch command.

If you want to incorporate it into an AppleScript, just use

do shell script "/absolute/path/to/AudioSwitcher -n"

Sep 6, 2012 10:12 AM in response to Bill Scott

Bill this looks perfect, very many thanks.

Sorry if you have said this and I have misunderstood, but will it require me to close and reopen iTunes so that iTunes can "read" the required output or will it do it on the fly? Clearly the latter is preferable but I can handle the former with a script too obviously...

All the best

Marc

Audio not coming from indicated output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.