Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After reset I keep getting prompted to create or join Open Directory.

I followed this procedure and after step 5 I get the option to create a new Open Directory domain. I already have a master on this server, but I can't get beyond this dialog box to configure the Profile Manager. If I click through to create a new Open Directory Master the process dies saying a master already exists. Can I get around this via the command line?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 6:28 AM

13 replies

Sep 5, 2012 8:02 AM in response to Mark23

I understand I can only have one Master Open Directory server. The problem is I cannot configure the Profile Manager because the GUI keeps prompting me to either create or joining an OD when the Master is on the very server I am trying to configure Profile Manger. It seems to me the GUI wizard is non-functional at this point for configuring Profile Manger. It looks like I need some command line option/s to provision Profile Manger similar to the procedure HT5349 that I used to set the Profile Manager back to the default state. I shouldn't have to redo Open Directory from scratch to configure the Profile Manager, but maybe that is the only option I have now and that would suck.

Sep 5, 2012 11:16 AM in response to biggenie

You should be able to configure Profile Manager on the OD or the replica, it doesn't matter which. If you send me the OD and Profile Manager logs I can see if there's a quick fix for your problem that we can apply.

@Mark23: It OD Master can run many other services. Even a Mac Mini can handle OD, Profile Manager, Contacts, Calendar, Messages, DNS, NetInstall, and File Sharing if need be. It's of course best to keep the number of users accessing it limited in this case.

Sep 7, 2012 6:03 AM in response to Hydra585

I thought I would report back with what I did to get Profile Manager back to a working state for me. Since I couldn’t get past the dialog box that kept asking me to either create an OD master or join an OD I decided to delete OD altogether. I did this twice with differing results in the outcome of the Profile Manger service configuration. The first time I recreated the OD I got Profile Manger to run, but the certificates were buggered and wouldn’t allow me to deliver a trusted profile to my MacBook Pro. So, the second time I deleted OD I took things a step further.

1. Deleted the replica
  2. Deleted the master
  3. Waited for about 15 minutes for things to “cook”
  4. Rebooted both servers
  5. Opened Keychain Access and deleted the self-signed machine certificates on the replica
  6. Opened Keychain Access and deleted the self-signed machine certificates on the master and deleted the OD certificate as well (when you delete the OD it doesn’t go back and delete everything and you will pick-up configuration settings stashed in files, certificates, etc., when you run the wizard again)
  7. Installed the OD master (see http://krypted.com/iphone/configuring-using-profile-manager-2-in-os-x-mountain-l ion-server/ Apple, please take notes on how document your server products)
  8. Setup Profile Manager and applied the newly generated self-signed Code Signing certificate (this won’t be created correctly unless the OD certificate is generated correctly when you re-install OD. That’s why I deleted the OD certificate in step 6)
  9. Installed my replica
  10. Downloaded a trusted profile on the MacBook Pro

So, to sum things up I follow the procedure http://krypted.com/iphone/configuring-using-profile-manager-2-in-os-x-mountain-l ion-server/ after steps 1 through 6. Your mileage may vary, but this worked for me. I should add that I am connected to a Microsoft AD as well to provide authentication for Mac users. I think the Profile Manager is going to be a good tool for me, but it seems a little fragile and the documentation by Apple is limited (the richest company in the history of the world should be able to document their products better and have them available when the product is released – steps off of soapbox).

Sep 7, 2012 2:51 PM in response to biggenie

Thanks SAM4Pres, and biggenie.

If I'm feeling brave, will give your technique a shot BG. Either that or I dont use the feature, which would be a shame.

Yes, Apple - get your documentation sorted out....I'd like to know who tested this service, and did not think that errors like this weren't worthy of documenting. Feel like I'm on a Beta program! Ahh the good ole Microsoft days.

May 29, 2013 4:29 PM in response to Hydra585

So I'd just like to update this: I read this with the same problem and figured I was in for yet another reinstall of Server.app/full reinstall of 10.8, but I decided that I'd be optimistic (for no good reason). I went to the OpenDirectory section of Server.app, destroyed the master (just doing pre-deployment testing on a Mac-mini), and went back to Profile Manager, and went through the steps top recreate the OD master, and it actually worked. I did delete the db file as this article describes right before reinstalling OD. So give it a shot. Maybe it will work.

This is pretty appaling though for a technical support article, though. It must be super-depressing to work in the enterprise software department of Apple.

Aug 1, 2013 8:02 AM in response to biggenie

Just had the exact same situation (school changed management and whole network had to be re-IPed and re-hostnamed, so I JUST GOT FINISHED rebuilding the OD Master to triangle it together with an AD network). I was all set to get on the phone with Apple and give them an earful for A) not fixing this issue and B) not even updating their documentation to reflect this problem occurs (that would be admitting they made a mistake...)

I decided to give rebooting the server one more go and lo and behold... IT WORKED!

My advice, try a few reboots of the server, each time, going straight into Server.app and trying to Configure device management again. I tried rebooting and re-configuring three times prior, each time getting stopped b/c the GUI didn't recognize that OD was already running on the system, but that last time it finally noticed OD and went straight to selecting my SSL and asking for the email address.

Each time I did the exact same steps, so there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to why it does or doesn't work.

After reset I keep getting prompted to create or join Open Directory.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.