Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After login to network account all files have been modified (10.8.1 Server)

Hello,

after logging in to my network account or after mounting a server volume, all files of my home directory have been modified.

The login procedure takes about 1 minute; during this time I can see on the server that there are running these 3 processes with higher cpu usage: mds, chown and fseventsd.

I created a new user and reinstalled the server, but it's the same behavior.

The user directory is on an external hard drive.

I use 10.8.1 Server and Client.

I could not find anything relevant about this problem in the internet so it seems to be quite a rare problem. But perhaps one of you has an idea.

Thanks in advance!

Christoph

OS X Server

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 6:29 AM

3 replies

Sep 5, 2012 6:50 AM in response to christoph.l

I think your problem has a rather simple solution, since all files in a directory aren't modified unless you tell the OS or a program you've installed to.

To keep the external hard drive mounted even when nobody is logged into your server, enter the following into terminal:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/autodiskmount \

AutomountDisksWithoutUserLogin -bool YES

I think your server is looking for the external Hard Drive, but can' tfind it and thus defaults back to the internal HD.

After login to network account all files have been modified (10.8.1 Server)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.