Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight gives incomplete results in Mountain Lion

Hello. Since I use Mountain Lion, Spotlight gives me incomplete results.

-- I already cleared all the relevant caches

-- I already asked (in fact, several times) to rebuild the index

-- I already rebooted.

-- I already verified the disk, repaired permissions, and done all the ritual things.

No matter what, Spotlight misses files (both in searching by content and in searching by name) which are in the computer. I can see them in front of my eyes in one finder window, but if I open another window and spotlight for the name of that file, I get no results.

When I look at the console messages, I do find errors by mdutil, but they do not seem to be connected with the files that do not show up. The errorrs are of three kinds:

-- one concerns separators

9/5/12 12:05:47.973 PM mdworker[8924]: No separator between the header and body in message <_CMFMemoryMessage: 0x7f8fea462f40>

(this concerns emails)

--- another is a write error given by sandbox:

9/5/12 12:30:36.294 PM sandboxd[9129]: ([9128]) mdworker(9128) deny file-write-owner /Users/luca/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/NotesV1.store data-wal (import fstype:hfs fsflag:480D000 flags:40000005F diag:0 uti:com.apple.notes.externalrecord plugin:/Library/Spotlight/Notes.mdimporter - find suspect file using: sudo mdutil -t 11694802)

(this is a funny one, but it does not concern the files in question. Incidentally, the mdutil manual does not report a -t option for what I can see)

-- a third one is an EOF error but not one that helps much in understanding what is what:

9/5/12 12:31:23.596 PM mdworker[9105]: Unexpected EOF, returning last token as fallback

Now, what I do not know is if such messages may in any way influence the way spotlight works on *other* files, maybe blocking the full indexing of the disk or something.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

l.

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 7:54 AM

7 replies

Sep 5, 2012 8:32 AM in response to macjack

Funnily, it seems to be file-dependent. For example, it skips files that are in a directory but it correctly indexes files that are in the same directory. Oddily, if I re-download the same files, or re-duplicate these files, they are correctly added to the search index.

Sounds like a bug to me, I guess I'll have to live with it -- or without spotlight.

THanks for your suggestions,

l

Oct 9, 2012 5:48 PM in response to lucafrombrooklyn

Hi Have exactly the same issue. I work in an office with 10 + macs of various models and ages. Most are running Snow Leapord or Lion. We keep our master image file on a Mac Pro and when I need an image I select the shared fgolder on that make Pro over the network and type a keyword and hey presto all the files containig that word in the file name or meta description are displayed as results.

Lat week I updated my iMac to Mountain Lion and suddenly I can search over the network. I get either no results or results that I know to be ommiting files that exist.

As with the original post on this thread I've re-indexed spotlingt on both machines, repaiered permissions, zapped p-ram and all the other usual fixes with no luck.

Strangly on the iMac when I search it also does not display results correctly. I use PhotoShop actions to make multiple size versions of raw images for use in different formats. After running the PhotoShop action I then use search to find the new images. For years now when I search my computer it would show me the new images right at the top of the results because I was displaying by date created. Now when I create new images they appear at the bottom of the search results under the heading "No Date", yet if I select the image I can see the correct date and time created in the file info.

Something is seriously wrong with Spotlight in Mountain Lion and really need fixing soon.

Spotlight gives incomplete results in Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.