Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate contacts in Spotlight.

I have a MBP/Retina and was syncing my contacts with an exchange server. The contacts were not showing up in Spotlight... so I moved the contacts from Exchange to MyMacbook. I then turned off the contact sync for my exchange account and turned on the sync for my icloud account. Now when I do a spotlight search, I see the contact, but I also see duplicates of the contact. However, the duplicates do not have the contact data/information - only an image of a contact card with an '@' symbol. I have gone into contacts, searched for duplicates and it shows no duplicates. I have no groups, no other accounts, and there are no duplicates in icloud. I think it may have something to do with spotlight seeing an old index of the exchange contacts (even though they never actually appeared in the spotlight results). I have tried to use the private setting in spotlight to turn off contact indexing but in Mountain Lion, cannot find the application support data to remove from the index. I'd rather not recreate the spotlight index and am hoping there is a simple way to refresh the index or flip a switch of some sort. Any help would be appreciated as some contacts are showing 6+ duplicates in the search results, when in fact there is only one contact in icloud. Here is an example of the saerch result. The first result under contacts is the correct contact information. The second - which shows the contact card image, is below...

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 12:52 PM

2 replies

Nov 7, 2012 1:11 PM in response to Dan McKinney

Since upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and moving my contacts to my iCloud account I see the same symptom. I thought it might be a Spotlight indexing issue, but forcing the Spotlight indexes to be rebuilt did not make a difference.

See also https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4364563 for another report that I think may refer to the same issue.

Any fixes?

Duplicate contacts in Spotlight.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.