Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alternatives to Notes.app that will sync WITHOUT a cloud service

I am looking for viable alternatives to Apple's Notes.app to keep and sync notes between my iPhone 4s and my Macbook Pro but THAT DO NOT REQUIRE ANY CLOUD SERVICES.

Prior to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion this was possible. However, Mountain Lion removed the ability to use iTunes to sync Notes between devices (with or without cable) and now requires "cloud-type" connectivity/services. While I like the new Notes interface in Mountain Lion Notes.app I bemoan the loss of syncing by cable/iTunes and forcing the use of cloud servcies upon us.

For me personally I want to sync these devices by cable and not via iCloud, IMAP or any service that resides outside of these physical devices. That's my personal preference, so let's not use this discussion to debate the pros and cons of the "cloud" way of doing things (and hopefully we will not divert into a cloud vs. no-cloud cat fight).

What I really want to find is some kind of Note application to replace the functionality of Notes on the iPhone 4S (and maybe other iOS devices) and the Macbook Pro that will allow syncing between devices by cable and that does not require cloud services to sync between devices.

I have read a little about Chronos "SOHO Notes" for the Mac, which apparently requires it's companion "NoteLife" for the iPhone. But there seems to be few other offerings, or I cannot find them.

Does anyone have hands-on experience with these or other products?

Does anyone have pointers to specfic product recommendations?

It might be nice to find some open source applications rather than commercial.

Thanks very much.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 6:41 PM

18 replies

Jan 7, 2017 12:10 AM in response to MichelPM

Yes indeed.

The iPad version is a no brainer and I purchased it for the trial and have downloaded a free trial of the Mac version of MacJournal, it is the Mac version that is not cheap but so far does seem to work!

It is very frustrating not being allowed to use any Cloud services, for my own personal use I have iCloud, Dropbox and OneDrive which I use but my work Mac has all access to these systems blocked! 😠

If you can think of any other Notes App that can sync peer to peer without Cloud I would love to hear about it, before I spend money on MacJournal?

Oct 18, 2017 6:20 PM in response to KB from Ontario

This is not going to be helpful. A week ago, I would have recommended NoteLife and SOHO Notes; they do not sync via the cloud. I've been using the pair for years. Unfortunately, iOS 11 made my version of NoteLife obsolete. The new version of NoteLife makes SOHO Notes obsolete. The new version of NoteLife syncs via the cloud and unlike the old version it has a monthly fee. So I am looking for an alternative to NoteLife and SOHO Notes. My requirements are similar to yours. I'm wondering if you found a solution.

Oct 31, 2012 7:25 AM in response to KB from Ontario

THIS is the thread I've been looking for! I second KB's request, and all other points made in the first post.

I've looked into the apps above (VoodooPad and SOHO Notes) and both cost around $50. That's more than I'm willing to pay for a notes app. I don't need a lot of extra features. Just the ability to sync notes between my computer and phone through a cable, or through a local (non internet) wireless connection.

Please post more apps or workarounds if you know if any.

Dec 4, 2012 5:00 AM in response to I am Mel

Ok, I thought of something. Haven't done it yet, but will when I "re upgrade" to mountain lion (I downgraded back to Lion when I noticed the issues with notes. It really is a dealbreaker for me.)

This isn't ideal, but it's what I'm going to do.

Contacts (so far) can still be synced locally. Each contact has a "Notes" field. What I'm going to do is create a group in my contacts called "Notes", and when I have a note, I'll just create a new contact for it. I'll put the title for the note in the "Company" field, write the note in the "Note" field, leave the rest blank probably, assign it to my "Notes" group in contacts, and that will be my new "non-cloud notes app"

Again, its not ideal, but I think it'll do.

Apple, please dont *^%! around with the rest of the syncing apps. A cloud OPTION is nice. But it's not practical for a lot of people. This almost got me to switch to Android, becuase if I was going to be forced to sync through clouds, I no longer had a reason to stick with Apple products.

Mar 11, 2013 8:57 PM in response to I am Mel

This is a great idea.

Like you and many others, I am very unhappy at Apple's arbitrary removal of local Notes sync from Mountain Lion. I went back to Lion as soon as I discovered the change. Now after updating to iTunes 11 there are yet more Notes sync problems ..

Thanks for the smart thinking. I'm going to test run it. Did you find any gotchas ?

Mar 11, 2013 9:34 PM in response to KB from Ontario

I have been using MacJournal on the desktop, and importing iPhone Notes directly into it -- MacJournal preserves the name, date and time of the original writing of the Note, which I find important. I can add photos or links to the notes later and it still preserves the original time stamp of the note (or I can alter it if I wish).

I find MJ easier to use than Soho Notes, though I own that too - I used it for a while and found it was a bit buggy, though the corresponding iPhone app (Notelife) is great.

Though MacJournal does have an iPhone app, I am having a difficult time weaning myself away from Notes on the iPhone. I write 20 or so a day. I am trying to get into the habit of using the MacJournal app for the iphone but in the meantime, this works: I import the Notes using an app called PhoneView - I do an import of the notes about once a week and just drag them into MacJournal.

No iCloud required, and no lost notes. This will do for now.

Mar 11, 2013 9:45 PM in response to anc12

Hi anc12,

It's working ok for me. Using the notes app would be easier, but using contacts for notes works ok.

When using contacts for notes, there's no formatting or bold or underline or pictures or font size etc. Just plain text.

For SUPER long notes, (something that might equal 5 typed pages) I found I needed to split them up for the contact to load without freezing/crashing.

I also often have the annoyance of leaving the category set to "notes" and then trying to search for a contact and not finding it initially - becuase I'm in the notes category, not "Contacts" or "All" etc. (minor issue).

No other problems really. And the ones above are minor.

Wish there was a better option, but since there isn't, this works!

Alternatives to Notes.app that will sync WITHOUT a cloud service

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.