Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you find out the size of a contact card?

The old Mobile Me service had lots of issues with the number of contacts you could have. Now it seems that with this info: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4489

iCloud: Limits for Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, and Bookmarks

Apple has tried to inform us about the limits you can have. None the less it does not tell you how to ( for instance) know the size of the memory taken by ( contacts). So they have given us guidance but no way to know how to use it or check it. Can anybody advice how to measure the size of contacts ( for instance).? For business users this could be important. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Guy M.

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 12:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 1:48 AM

Either in Address Book on a Mac or at http://icloud.com you can export contacts as a vCard. If you select all and export, then do a Get Info on the resultant file, it will tell you the overall size. If you export an individual contact you can similarly get the size of that.

3 replies

Sep 6, 2012 2:25 AM in response to BAGBOY1

Address Book's own database will be differently structured from an exported vCard so it's not really worth tampering with that.

The vCard is a series of fields separated by line returnes, with records being separated by BEING:VCARD and END:VCARD - a typical single simple card looks like this:

BEGIN:VCARD

VERSION:3.0

N:National Film Theatre;;;;

FN:National Film Theatre

ORG:National Film Theatre;

TEL;type=WORK;type=pref:020 7928 3232 booking

TEL;type=WORK:020 7928 3535 prog planning

TEL;type=WORK:020 7815 1335 tech

TEL;type=WORK:020 7928 3233 booking

item1.ADR;type=WORK;type=pref:;;The Box Office\, BFI Southbank\nBelvedere Road\nSouth Bank;London;;SE1 8XT;

item1.X-ABADR:gb

X-ABUID:A1345405-E248-4B2B-906B-F5AFA5BF15CB\:ABPerson

END:VCARD

As you can see it's only a small amount of data - 464 bytes - so really I don't think you need to worry about the size of any individual entry except where photos are concerned - obviously they take up a lot more room. I checked a card with a typical small photo and the size was 5,137 bytes: so only quite a large photo is going to cause you any problems.

I don't know of any way of collecting statistics on the all-contacts vCard, except that if you converted it to a tab-delimited format and imported it into a spreadsheet or database program it would tell you the number of contacts.

How do you find out the size of a contact card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.