Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail: Check for new messages doesn't work

Hi,

In Mac Mail the setting at "Preferences -> Check For New Messages" I have set for manual and yet Mail still fetches emails when I haven't asked it too. I previously had this setting set to check for messages every hour but it ignored that setting too so I set it to manual but this setting is ignored. Ideally I'd like to check mail every four hours but there isn't a setting for that.

I'm running Lion and have IMAP email accounts.

Any idea how I can get Mac Mail not to ignore my Check For New Messages setting?

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply
2 replies

Sep 7, 2012 1:11 AM in response to El Vergatario

Thanks for the link. Well I never would have found that out without some help. I saw the IDLE in the IMAP settings I didn't know it was a kind of PUSH / FETCH thing. Anyway I've got it on manual now and only seems to get emails when I send one or press the button. I've only changed it a little while ago so I hope this is actually fixed.

Thanks again it was driving me nuts!

Mac Mail: Check for new messages doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.