Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

User login fails until restart (was after shutdown)

User is in an AD environment using Magic Triangle.

User system OS X 10.6.8 v1.1 (latest)

User hardware is MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) with 6GB RAM.

User account was recently migrated to new hardware. I only transferred user data - no applications or user settings.

Symptoms were:

User would log off or restart at end of day.

When returning the following morning, AD user was unable to login. Tested and no network accounts were able to login. Local admin user was able to login.

User would restart and try and login and it would fail

User would shut down computer, turn on, and then login fine.

I re-imaged machine with known good system image.

For about 3 days user had no issues logging in.

Today user complained could not login again.

User restarted computer and was able to login.

I have not been able to troubleshoot current issues yet.

How best to troubleshoot?

Thanks.

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 6:56 AM

4 replies

Sep 13, 2012 12:28 PM in response to Layne_Staley

We have been getting the EXACT same issue, save for the fact that our environment is not set up using the Magic Triangle scheme (as far as I know)...

We have an AD server, but nearly all of our workstations are Macs.

We set up each mac by cloning a known-working clone containing only an admin account.

We then bind the cloned mac to our AD server, choosing the option to create mobile accounts, and then login with the user's AD credentials to create the mobile account.

As you described, the user is able to work on the machine normally for a few days, and then out of the blue I get a report that the password is no longer being accepted; not at the login page, the unlock-from-sleep page, or the unlock-the-padlock prompts.

One thing we HAVE noticed is that as soon as we remove the AD network connection from the equation, the user can log in with his/her password every time. This seems to make sense given other reports of being able to log in immediately following a restart: if you're fast enough, you might get the attempt in before the Airport card has a chance to use cached login info to connect to your wireless network. Similarly, if you're not using wireless and are instead connected via ethernet, logging in fast enough means you get your attempt in before the "network accounts unavailable" message turns to "network accounts available" (that issue has been reported basically everywhere on the web). What this suggests to me is that the cached AD user object information is correct, but the connection to the AD server is 'different' in some way than when it was originally set up. Given that we have people switching between wireless and wired connections at whim around here, I have to wonder if this could be a DNS-related problem.

The login issue described above has happened on about 5 computers out of about 100 in the past few months, and we've tried numerous online suggestions with no success. It only seems to affect machines running OS X 10.6 (we have several 10.7 machines that have had no issues after updating to 10.7.3, and never had this particular issue).

Some things we've tried without success:

1) Unbind/rebind computer to AD

2) Removing (backed up first!) the /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/users/username.plist file for the affected user and restarting

3) Altering nodes within the above plist file (password-->input known correct password)

4) Compared AD attributes to their mapped OS X attributes (SysPrefs-->Accounts-->AdvOptions) to see that they match (as far as we can tell, they do).

5) Repair disk/disk permissions (lol...)

Ultimately, to keep things moving around here, we've been employing this workaround:

1) Unbind machine from AD, reboot

2) Delete problematic account, but leave home folder intact.

3) Rebind machine to AD, reboot

4) Login with user's credentials to create mobile account.

5) Migrate all deleted user folder files to newly-created user folder.

6) Modify permissions as necessary.

Obviously, this workaround is not 100%: it typically involves a little extra setup on the user's part (getting those ~/Library files & permissions just right can be very tedious...) Still, it's A workaround.

Furthermore...I have noticed that whenever I perform this workaround, inevitably I end up with ANOTHER user reporting the same issue in short order on a totally different machine. This also lends support to the idea that this is a DNS-related problem.

Any other thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'll bookmark this post so I can add any important nuggets.

Sep 14, 2012 8:54 AM in response to mbrown.atx

Just an update: I discovered the issue for our organization - It turns out that the problematic machines are typically bound in AD under a name that is duplicated on another machine on the network. Then, when the duplicate machine authenticates, and then the problem machine tries also to authenticate, there is a conflict that results in a failure to authenticate on the problem machine.

The fix in our case was to unbind the problematic machine and rebind it with a unique identifier. This is pretty standard procedure for AD binds, but it appears that either the machine was improperly-bound the first time around, or has somehow changed it's AD bind configuration (namely, the name the AD computer object is to be given).

I'll still need to do some testing to find out whether or not this was an administrative error or if some process was able to alter the AD configuration (very doubtful).

Hope that helps.

Sep 18, 2012 12:18 PM in response to mbrown.atx

Thanks for the info. I was able to remove computer from AD Server then rename like you did and then rebind to AD as client. I also reset DHCP lease for the computer in question and rebooted the DC just for good measure.

It's been about 9 days so far without an issue, whereas it would happen about every 3 days (which our DHCP leasetime) so my issue may be DHCP related... If it reoccurs, I'll post back here for sure.

Thanks.

User login fails until restart (was after shutdown)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.