1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 2, 2006 7:49 AM by Majordadusma
Jeff Kjoller Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
My system:
Dual 1.25 G4 running 10.4.4
Monitor: Apple 20" Flat Panel Cinema Display
1 GB RAM

My Issue: First, if I shutdown and start up or restart (on my own accord) everything is fine.
But occassionally my system freezes (usually while I'm using Safari). When I reboot from the power button on my monitor, I get a blue screen. I then do a safe boot, log in, then restart and I get to the log in screen fine.
When my system freezes, shouldn't I be able to restart from the monitor power button without have to do a safe boot first?
FYI, I've run Disk Warrior, Apple's Disk Utility and Apple's TechTools and all say my system and hardware are fine.

Thanks for any help.

Dual 1.25 G4   Mac OS X (10.4.4)  
  • Majordadusma Level 6 Level 6 (9,425 points)
    Hi, Jeff!

Yes, you normally should be able to restart normally from the power button on the monitor. A Safe Boot disables various system extensions and startup/login items, one of which is likely causing a conflict after you force shutdown.

It's good practice to run Disk Utility's Repair Disk option whenever you are forced to shutdown, particularly if you don't have journaling enabled. Also, if the Mac isn't completely frozen, but instead has an application or process hung up with a spinning beachball, I always try to Force Quit the process, rather than shutting down. When a sudden shutdown occurs, there's always the chance that important system data may be only partially written to your drive, fouling up the directory or causing file corruption.

You might empty your Safari cache using the Safari>Empty Cache... option in the Safari Toolbar. It may help with the Safari problem you occasionally encounter.

Gary