Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Warranty question, phone has not been water damaged but the moisture sensors have been activiated.

I took my iphone 4 back to an apple store today as the LCD panel has stopped working, although all other phone functions work just fine.

The person I spoke at the genus bar told me that the external moisture sensors had been triggered and due to this the phone had been dropped in water, this is not the case. The phone has been used during exersice and has been used in humid countries, could this have triggered these sensors??

I asked the person from the genus bar if there where any other sensors in the device, I was informed that there where two more sensors inside the phone. I asked if these could be checked, they where checked and where found NOT to be activated. Also, there was no sign of water damage on the inside of the phones componants and an extreamly small amount of water/moisture residue in the back glass cover near where the battery comes in contact with it.

I attempted to argue that the phone had not been subject to being dropped in water, but the apple representaive was having none of it and just refusted to replace the phone...

Is this correct??? Is there anything I can do to progress this? I've got a repeat appointment at an apple store tonight where I'm going to ask to speak to the store manager and ask what can be done.

Please help!!!

iphone 3g, iOS 4, New

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 9:14 AM

7 replies

Sep 6, 2012 9:21 AM in response to bmorgan9875

bmorgan9875 wrote:

The phone has been used during exersice and has been used in humid countries, could this have triggered these sensors??

Yes. As can leaving it sitting on the counter i the bathroom while you take a long steamy shower...

Apple sets the policy for how many and which sensors have to be tripped before they consider the phone to be liquid damage.

You can ask the manager nicely, and they may agree to replace it for you.

If there was moisture inside the back glass cover, however, you will probably just need to accept the fact that it has been damaged by exposure to moisture, whether it took the form of a spill, dropping it in something, or condensation from excessive humidity.

Nothing anyone here can say or do will alter reality.

Sep 6, 2012 9:31 AM in response to iOS Tech

Thanks for the response, I'm convinsed that the phone hasn't been in contact with a high volume of water and has been used normally in a reasonable way.

Unfortunatly I need the phone for business, so if I don't make any progress tonight I'm going to ask for the phone to be opened then take multiple photographs of the exterior and interior of the phone. Once this has been done, I'm going to have to pay for a replacement!!

<Edited By Host>

Warranty question, phone has not been water damaged but the moisture sensors have been activiated.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.