Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where will i download photos when iphoto library is moved to external drive?

I'm planning to move my iPhoto library to an external drive (many photos so slowing down my MacBook). I'm assuming that, after this is done, I'll need to have the drive plugged in when I download photos, and that the photos will be saved directly into the library on the external drive. However, can I create another iPhoto library on my MacBook into which I can download new pics when travelling etc (so that i don't need to carry the ext. drive with me). And will it be easy/unproblematic to move photos between the 2 libraries?

Also, if/when I upgrade to Aperture, will I easily be able to access photos in both internal and external libraries?

Thanks for your time!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 11:18 AM

I'm planning to move my iPhoto library to an external drive (many photos so slowing down my MacBook). I'm assuming that, after this is done, I'll need to have the drive plugged in when I download photos, and that the photos will be saved directly into the library on the external drive.

Correct

However, can I create another iPhoto library on my MacBook into which I can download new pics when travelling etc (so that i don't need to carry the ext. drive with me).

Yes - depress the option key and launch iPhoto and create library

And will it be easy/unproblematic to move photos between the 2 libraries?

Without a thrid party application you can not reaaly move photos completely - you can export and then import to the other library - the bettere and earier way is to use iPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ -

For Aperature questions your best bet is to use the Aperature forum - I'm sure you can but I do not use Aperature so am just making an educated guess

LN

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2012 11:18 AM in response to rafrachrc

I'm planning to move my iPhoto library to an external drive (many photos so slowing down my MacBook). I'm assuming that, after this is done, I'll need to have the drive plugged in when I download photos, and that the photos will be saved directly into the library on the external drive.

Correct

However, can I create another iPhoto library on my MacBook into which I can download new pics when travelling etc (so that i don't need to carry the ext. drive with me).

Yes - depress the option key and launch iPhoto and create library

And will it be easy/unproblematic to move photos between the 2 libraries?

Without a thrid party application you can not reaaly move photos completely - you can export and then import to the other library - the bettere and earier way is to use iPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ -

For Aperature questions your best bet is to use the Aperature forum - I'm sure you can but I do not use Aperature so am just making an educated guess

LN

where will i download photos when iphoto library is moved to external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.