Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sync passwords with ldap for GADS use

I have recently started to set up sync from our SL Server to google apps, i have slowly been dealing with the issues surrounding this, however, the issue of Apples OD not storing users passwords in the OpenLdap means that i am not able to (simply) sync the passwords between SL+OD and Google.apps.

i found this (succinct) post... from David Colville1

Open Directory/LDAP Password Encryption

David Colville1

Re: Open Directory/LDAP Password Encryption

Jan 28, 2010 5:18 PM (in response to Abel408)

Unlike some other LDAP directories, OS X doesn't store a password inside the LDAP record - it uses an "SASL" mechanism - it queries to the "AuthenticationAuthority" attribute to advise the location where the user password can be retrieved.

The passwords are stored inside the PasswordServer (SASL Server), in CRAM-MD5, Digest-MD5, DHX, etc (see Page 50 of the Open Directory Administation Guide).

It also supports LDAP Bind (using cleartext passwords), but this is a nasty security risk.

Some ways you could consider to propagate from the password from other LDAP directories is either:

-Propagate the password an password attribute - but this will require changing the way clients bind to query this attribute.

- Use a script to change the entries in PasswordService using "dscl" commands on the OS X Server - this is probably a better long term solution.

And would like to know if anyone has a script or some other process sorted out that would sync the the PasswordService and OD/Ldap password field so i can update the google.apps password fields, or if there is some way of dynamically querying the PasswordServer when GADS runs to get the relevant password for each user. i am, now, starting to look at the "dscl" command to see if i can call it before i run the GADS so passwords stay synced and up to date in all places.

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 12:35 PM

1 reply

sync passwords with ldap for GADS use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.