Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3gs gps

GPS experts,

My factory unlocked 3gs iPhone has a pay-as-you-go t-mobile sim. The phone works well as do (most of) the apps I've loaded. My problem is with the GPS function.

I think that Maps should perform some sort of GPS tasks (even outside of a wi-fi zone) even though my particular low-level t-mobile service does not include data service. Is this true? I did download 2 separate GPS apps (Skobbler GPS Nav2 and Waze) which sometimes work, but never well.

What settings should be made in order to get the "built-in" (via Maps) GPS-E to operate? I don't particularly expect it to have voice commands but it seems that it should locate me even when I'm not in a wi-fi zone (in other words while I'm driving). Of course I have <Location services> on. In <Network> what are the proper settings for <Enable 3G> and <Cellular Data>? Remember, I have no Data service through my carrier but I thought that the GPS-e worked by sensing the location of cell towers not by accessing "data."

To sum up--does an iPhone 3gs have a GPS function? How to enable it?

Thanks, JimH

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 2:36 PM

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4995

Yes the 3Gs does have a GPS function but this requires data.

When it does work you are probably accessing cashe data from your maps ( when your have been connected to wifi and searched maps before, thats the data that has been saved and that you are accessing).

Unfortunatly my friend, data or wifi is required.

Hope this helps.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2012 2:36 PM in response to JimH

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4995

Yes the 3Gs does have a GPS function but this requires data.

When it does work you are probably accessing cashe data from your maps ( when your have been connected to wifi and searched maps before, thats the data that has been saved and that you are accessing).

Unfortunatly my friend, data or wifi is required.

Hope this helps.

3gs gps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.