Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cleaning up my mac

My macbook seems to be slow. Is there something i can do to clean it up so it will work better?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 3:55 PM

2 replies

Sep 6, 2012 5:05 PM in response to Summerside75

You can find a lot of general maintenance articles online. Generally if my MacBook is running slow. I do the following.

Quit Out | Make sure you don't have too many programs running at once. How many apps do you have open?

Update your Software | If you use programs like Firefox make sure they are up to date. Some of the older systems have issues using up too much space.

Restart | This may be basic, but it really does speed up your computer.

Check Hard Drive Space | You need more than 15% free space. Otherwise the OS will act up.

Check Login Items | You'll notice your Mac startup much quicker this way.

Check you RAM | If you're running Lion, then you should have 4 GB of RAM unless you want to experience a lot of headache.

Clear your Cache, Etc. | If you want to keep this simple download CCleaner. It's pretty simple and does a good job.

Reset your PRAM | When your Mac is first booting up (before you see the apple symbol) hold Command, Option, P, and R. This will make your system reboot again.

Repair your Permissions | Open the Disk Utility App. Then highlight your hard drive on the left. Choose Repair permissions near the bottom of the window. Let this run until it's finished (2-20 min), then run it again.

If you're still experiencing issues after doing this, then you might want to Reboot in Safe Mode, which will make the system rebuild a lot of its scripts. Also look into re-indexing your files. This could also be the culprit.

Cleaning up my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.