Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't OSX track multiple copied clipboard items? Windows has been doing this for years. It's pretty much infuriating.

For the umpteenth time, I've cut some huge chunk of text out of a dialogue box only to lose it following a momentary lapse in concentration. With all the 'it just works' propaganda I've heard and repeated over the years, I'm dumbfounded that Apple engineers have not caught up yet. Windows has had this built in functionality forever. And please don't tell me 'there's a third party app'. This is basic. C'mon Apple, earn my business.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 8:38 PM

10 replies

Sep 6, 2012 9:22 PM in response to stateofthej

Yes, there are third party apps for it, but they're all lacking one thing, and I think that's why Apple haven't included it in any OS version to date. It's all a matter of form over function - how you design the interface to be intuitive and consistent. Multi-key combinations are an antithesis to the Mac UI. Pop-ups, overlays, etc. are all intrusive.

At the end of the day, it's hard to do for all users, so let third parties come up with ideas and let the advanced users that want multiple clipboards decide on their preferred form.

Maybe that's why Windows hasn't implemented multiple clipboards either (despite your claim). Office supports multiple clipboards, but you expressed a desire to avoid third-party apps

Sep 6, 2012 10:22 PM in response to Camelot

Thanks for your thoughts, it's an interesting conversation. I do think it's a leap to say shortcuts/"multi key combinations" are an "antithesis to the Mac UI", even my dear old Dad has mastered that classic time saver: ⌘-Z. I don't think ⌘-V-(1,2,3,4,5,etc..) would be that much more challenging. Besides, moving the pointer to the edit menu, then selecting 'undo', then relocating the cursor may be intuitive; but it's not very innovative, or efficient.

You're probably right about the multi-clip board functionality only being native to Office on the Windows platform, to be honest it's been quite a few years since I've used a PC. But I still think my point is relevant, more so considering other OSX users seem to have been asking the same question (on this forum) for many moons.

Admittedly, I'm no programmer and frankly that's one of the reasons I choose to use a Mac over a Windows Machine; I got sick of constantly tweaking my system just to keep it running smoothly instead actually doing productive work. That being said, how difficult would it be to add an arrow/sub menu list of say, the last 10 copied items by the 'paste' option when I two finger tap? It seems to me that Apple's "let the independent developers do the proof of concept work and we'll adopt it when we're good and ready" strategy has borne fruit. Now in my opinion, it's time to harvest this particular peach.

Sep 6, 2012 10:44 PM in response to stateofthej

I don't think ⌘-V-(1,2,3,4,5,etc..) would be that much more challenging.

It's not so much that it's challenging, per se., as much as what it portends.

For one, there's the consistency issue - how do you track which item is in which clipboard?

Then, once Apple open the door to multi-key commands it'll pervade through the rest of the OS and you'll start to see it in all kinds of other places and it'll be almost impossible to remember them all. Simplicity and consistency is key.

$0.02 🙂

Sep 6, 2012 11:26 PM in response to Camelot

Just offhand I'd suggest that there be one clipboard for all programs. It would reset when the user logged off or shutdown and it would probably be helpful to include the option of a warning if there were multiple items in the clipboard before the shutdown would complete.

It's reasonable to ask how you'd keep the 'clippings' straight across programs. Well, just like the desktop, there would be rules governing what could be pasted or dragged where. If I've got an audio clip copied in a digital audio editor, perhaps the 'clipping' could be represented by a miniaturized version of a file format icon or the icon from from which the clip was selected. The same would go for text or pictures etc... The 'clipboard manager' would need be aware of which program was currently active and either hide or gray out clippings which could not be pasted into the selected document/field/project/track.

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by "opening the door to multi-key commands"; I use a few built in multi-key shortcuts on a regular basis, the first one that comes to mind being ⌘⇧Z (redo). You're obviously a long time Apple'r so I hope you don't think I'm "just not getting it", but I think as important as simplicity and it's cousin, consistency, are indeed and should remain over-riding themes in Apple design, they shouldn't become barriers to Apple's mission of producing and perfecting revolutionary products. After all, there's a fine line between being stalwart and dogmatic.

“Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.” -Oscar Wilde

To me, that almost sounds like something another famous figure might have said, eh? 🙂 Good discussion man, cheers.

Sep 6, 2012 11:57 PM in response to stateofthej

The 'clipboard manager' would need be aware of which program was currently active and either hide or gray out clippings which could not be pasted into the selected document/field/project/track.

It's not up to the OS, or the clipboard manager to know what data types can be pasted into any given destination - the application does that.

In actual fact, the current clipboard implementation already supports storing multiple data sets - for example, if you copy text from a word processor, the chances are it's copied in multiple formats - there may be a rich-text version that includes font and style data, as well as a plain-text version with just the raw text. It's up to the receiving application as to which data is retrieved when you paste.

(yes, I realize this is a slightly different issue from multiple clipboards, but it does pertain to storing multiple objects on the clipboard).

I use a few built in multi-key shortcuts on a regular basis, the first one that comes to mind being ⌘⇧Z (redo).

Ahh, but that's not the same thing - or at least not what we're talking about here. That's just a modifier (shift) applied to the ⌘Z.

In this case what State and I are referring to is one technique implemented by at least one third-party app. Let's say your clipboard manager supports 10 clipboards - called Clipboard 0 through 9. To copy something to a specific clipboard You press the ⌘ key and C (to copy), and while still holding the ⌘ key you press the number of the clipboard you want to copy to - so to copy to clipboard 5 you ⌘-C-5.

Similarly to retrieve something from a specific clipboard, you press ⌘ plus V, then the number of the clipboard you want.

The problem with this approach (and I've used such a beast in the past) is that it really gets in the way of your workflow, because the copy (or paste) isn't effected until you let go of the command key. So now you can't use ⌘-C followed by ⌘-Tab to switch applications - you have to ⌘-C, let go of both keys and then ⌘-Tab. Sounds minor, I know, but try it sometimes - you'll be astounded how often you hold that command key between multiple commands. Implementing a system-wide 'feature' that requires you to release the command key to effect the command is a real distraction.

Just watch yourself use command keys in daily life - see how you learn and expect an immediate response when you press the relevant letter/number key. Imagine what it's like if that action waited until you let go of the command key.

Ultimately I think multiple clipboards is something that a subset of users could benefit from on a regular basis (I use one myself), but is a user-specific/custom requirement and therefore a task best served by third-party apps.

Sep 7, 2012 3:43 PM in response to Camelot

Ok, so what if, when you click ⌘-V, the clipboard pops up a small forced (a'la 'character viewer) translucent foreground window which shows a list of numbered available clippings? Wouldn't that then make ⌘-V (1,2,3..) just another modifier and not a 'multi-key shortcut'? I find the distinction semantic but in any case, practically it seems trivial. Like I said it's been awhile since I used Windows/Office, but I remember their version operating something like that.

And even if the clip manager doesn't presently 'know which data type can be pasted where', it couldn't be any great feat to make that a possibility; which I see as another reason it should be integral to the OS and not wedged in as an afterthought. At the end of the day, the MS Office Team essentially figured it out a long time ago, and I've never seen them as having anything on Apple's ability to make magic happen.

You definitely know your stuff, but I think we can agree to disagree. 🙂 In my opinion multi-item clip boards would be helpful to many kinds of OSX users advanced or not, for example: students writing research papers. But regardless of my opinion, I bet it will show up eventually and I'd like to see that happen sooner rather than later.

Why can't OSX track multiple copied clipboard items? Windows has been doing this for years. It's pretty much infuriating.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.