Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

6th Gen ipod nano

Hello,

I have a relatively new ipod but lately everytime it plugs into itunes, it twlls me that it needs to be restored. And if i try and restore it thru the ipod reset utility it just wipes the ipod but again tells me it needs a re set. Sometimes the message is 'ipod cant be mounted'. Any help on figuring out what's happenig would be much appreciated!

iPod nano

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 3:51 AM

9 replies

Sep 7, 2012 6:55 AM in response to gargasba

What other USB devices do you have attached to your computer? If there are any at all, try temporarily disconnecting them to see if that makes a difference as they sometimes cause driver and drive letter conflicts.

Another option might be to simply reformat the iPod using the tools provided by Windows. For instructions on how to reformat your iPod, see this article.

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/ipodsupport/erase/

B-rock

Sep 11, 2012 7:03 AM in response to planb77

Sorry wasnt able to get back any sooner.

Ok, so my ipod isnt showing in the My Computer tab. everytime i go into itunes and it asks for a restore and I do so..it will just keep saying that back to me again and again. I had this issue with my other ipod a while ago and I was able to reset it with the ipod reset utility I got off the apple website. with this one, however it continues to say unable to mount ipod or something like that.

Please help! I cant workout, run, drive without my music and its driving me nuts! 🙂

Sep 11, 2012 8:38 AM in response to planb77

So i shut my comp down for a while and then logged back on and itunes accepted my ipod! it actually went to the page it usually does when you plug a brand new one in...the whole name the ipod etc thing? It has synced the songs but they are all apearing grey. I cant move, add, delete anything.

But what it shows normally is something like 'itunes detected an ipod which needs to be restored'.User uploaded file

Sep 11, 2012 8:45 AM in response to gargasba

The content that you are viewing on your Nano via iTunes is grayed out since your iPod is set up for automatic syncing with your iTunes library. If you want to be able to manually manage your contents (which is sounds like you are trying to do), you must enable theManually manage music option from under your iPod's Summary tab in iTunes.

So at this point, everything seems to be functioning as expected?

B-rock

6th Gen ipod nano

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.