Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove update warning

I have seven applications that show up with updates avaialble in my Mac App Store (I use Miuntain Lion). I do not use any of these and I never have on my Mac. I believe my son may have used or even bought them on his iPad or iPhone at one time. The apps are registered to his account, for which I do not have or want the password.

I would like to stop receiving the upgrade notices. My Mac App Store account is signed into my account so I do not know why these notices come up. I cannot update because the apps are not installed on my devices (I looked in iTunes too), and also because I do not have the account password. How can I tell the app store to stop looking to upgrade these apps?

Another way to ask, how does the app store decide which applications it should tell ne have updates available. Presumeably the list would be from the applications it thinks I have, but I have bno idea why my Mac thinks I have these 7 applications installed.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, i7 16mb

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 8:13 AM

The Apple Support Communities are an international user to user technical support forum. As a man from Mexico, Spanish is my native tongue. I do not speak English very well, however, I do write in English with the aid of the Mac OS X spelling and grammar checks. I also live in a culture perhaps very very different from your own. When offering advice in the ASC, my comments are not meant to be anything more than helpful and certainly not to be taken as insults.

The Mac App Store (MAS) can see apps on mounted drives and partitions. If the apps were bought on your Mac at one time; are you sure that they have been deleted from your Mac's Apps folder, or are they possibly still installed on a backup drive?

BTW, the MAS does not detect nor announce updates for iOS apps, only apps for Macs.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2012 8:13 AM in response to Perry Gershon

The Apple Support Communities are an international user to user technical support forum. As a man from Mexico, Spanish is my native tongue. I do not speak English very well, however, I do write in English with the aid of the Mac OS X spelling and grammar checks. I also live in a culture perhaps very very different from your own. When offering advice in the ASC, my comments are not meant to be anything more than helpful and certainly not to be taken as insults.

The Mac App Store (MAS) can see apps on mounted drives and partitions. If the apps were bought on your Mac at one time; are you sure that they have been deleted from your Mac's Apps folder, or are they possibly still installed on a backup drive?

BTW, the MAS does not detect nor announce updates for iOS apps, only apps for Macs.

Remove update warning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.